Serena said she’s cut down on eating chicken and fish and is eating more raw foods like Venus, who adopted the change to help her body cope with Sjogren’s syndrome, an autoimmune disease that can cause fatigue and joint pain. But while the new diet has been a big change for Venus, it’s not been that big a deal for Serena, she says.
“I’ve always been a better eater than her, even though I’m a lot, lot thicker,” she said, laughing during a recent phone interview.
Serena said since she lives with Venus, she is mindful to eat foods that won’t tempt her.
“I don’t want her to come home and see a piece of chicken and be like, ‘Oh, I want it,’ and she can’t have it. It would be like a stumbling block for her,” she added.
Both Serena and Venus have been back on the tennis court recently after dealing with health issues. Serena had ankle injuries this year and last year made her return after missing nearly a year because of several health concerns, including cuts on her feet from glass at a restaurant and clots in her lungs.
“I’m looking forward to playing, and just playing and being healthy; I haven’t really been healthy in a few years, and I’m just really looking forward to having a chance to play,” she said. “I think right now I am at 100 percent … I’m really looking forward to continuing this and continuing to be healthy.”
Besides her excitement for upcoming Grand Slams and the Olympics, Serena said she’s also still focused on her side ventures, which include an upcoming appearance on the TV show “Drop Dead Diva,” her nails (she’s a licensed manicurist and has a nail polish line), her clothing company, Aneres (she said it’s relaunching online next year) and business school, just to name a few.
She’s also part of a new venture with LeBron James, Amar’e Stoudemire, Chris Paul and Pitbull to promote Sleep Sheets, which bills itself as a natural sleep aid. Serena said she’s had trouble sleeping for years because she’s “constantly on a natural high, high on life and happy, happy, happy and working.”
She said her sleep difficulty was so bad one year it affected her at the Australian Open.
“Several years ago before like the finals, I couldn’t sleep, and I had to take something to relax and make me go to sleep,” she said. “It was obviously a pharmaceutical thing, but I physically couldn’t sleep, and the only thing with that is that it slows you down the next day.”
She still won the trophy.
“I did, but I was a little sluggish,” she said, laughing. “It’s nothing that I ever want to do again. I can’t put the finals of the Australian Open on the line because I can’t sleep.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25