One day after President Barack Obama appeared on the comedy show “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” conservatives blasted Obama, claiming that he demeaned the White House by gracing the stage with his presence.
“I don’t know what Obama is gonna do,” said right-wing commentator Ann Coulter. “Is he gonna keep going on silly late night TV shows?”
Fox News’ Gretchen Carlson – not known for her profound political insights — also felt a sudden compulsion to criticize the president.
“Right now, a bunch of former presidents are, like, ‘Huh? That’s what we do now when we’re president of the United States?'” Carlson asked.
“I personally do not agree with the highest office of the land, the most important figure in the world going on these comedy shows,” she said. “I think it lowers the status of the office.”
Obama appeared with Jimmy Fallon to urge Congress not to double college student loans while also rallying young voters around his candidacy for re-election in November.
If the president is trying to appeal to a younger demographic, it makes sense for Obama to take use Fallon’s show as a platform for his message – especially with his hilarious “slow-jam” music sketch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFQIciWsF4
It doesn’t shame the office of the presidency to bring some occasional levity to the campaign season. What’s wrong with a few laughs from time to time? Why shouldn’t Obama be allowed to loosen up?
Truth be told, Obama can’t catch a break: Some critics complain that he’s too professorial, too aloof and too rigid; while others, like the right-wing fringe, chastise him for showing his comic side.
Obama has a good sense of humor. True, he’s no Chris Rock, but who would elect a comedian for president? I’m glad Obama has decided to show a lighter side of his personality. It makes him more human, and perhaps more appealing to some voters.
If the wildly enthusiastic response from Fallon’s audience is any indication of how much Obama is revered, then his appearance on the late-night talk show was a huge success.
Still, some conservatives are taking their criticism of Obama’s comedic offerings way too seriously. One right-wing blogger has absurdly suggested that Obama’s appearance on Fallon’s show somehow violated campaign finance laws because the president used “a broadcast station” to push a campaign agenda.
It’s a notion that will fall on deaf ears, but it’s also a classic example of how far Republicans will go to nitpick everything Obama.
The president is one of the most politically savvy politicians in history. He understands how to market himself to an electorate and, even with a few missteps, he generally knows what works.
This is a new day for elected leaders: in a fast-paced, 24-hour news cycle, politicians are constantly reinventing themselves and working on ways to remain relevant and likable to voters of all ages, racial and ethnic backgrounds and genders.
Obama gets it – as did former president Bill Clinton who was widely praised after he played the saxophone during an appearance on the Arsenio Hall Show in 1992 when Clinton was running for president. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTkUeb6zQFA
Clinton locked up the youth vote, in part, because he played the heck out of that sax on national television and became the first presidential candidate to perform in a musical segment on a late-night talk show.
Just as a reminder, Bill Clinton was elected to the White House in 1992 after what was considered an unconventional campaign strategy. Perhaps Obama is hoping that history will repeat itself.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31