One day after President Barack Obama appeared on the comedy show “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon,” conservatives blasted Obama, claiming that he demeaned the White House by gracing the stage with his presence.
“I don’t know what Obama is gonna do,” said right-wing commentator Ann Coulter. “Is he gonna keep going on silly late night TV shows?”
Fox News’ Gretchen Carlson – not known for her profound political insights — also felt a sudden compulsion to criticize the president.
“Right now, a bunch of former presidents are, like, ‘Huh? That’s what we do now when we’re president of the United States?'” Carlson asked.
“I personally do not agree with the highest office of the land, the most important figure in the world going on these comedy shows,” she said. “I think it lowers the status of the office.”
Obama appeared with Jimmy Fallon to urge Congress not to double college student loans while also rallying young voters around his candidacy for re-election in November.
If the president is trying to appeal to a younger demographic, it makes sense for Obama to take use Fallon’s show as a platform for his message – especially with his hilarious “slow-jam” music sketch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFQIciWsF4
It doesn’t shame the office of the presidency to bring some occasional levity to the campaign season. What’s wrong with a few laughs from time to time? Why shouldn’t Obama be allowed to loosen up?
Truth be told, Obama can’t catch a break: Some critics complain that he’s too professorial, too aloof and too rigid; while others, like the right-wing fringe, chastise him for showing his comic side.
Obama has a good sense of humor. True, he’s no Chris Rock, but who would elect a comedian for president? I’m glad Obama has decided to show a lighter side of his personality. It makes him more human, and perhaps more appealing to some voters.
If the wildly enthusiastic response from Fallon’s audience is any indication of how much Obama is revered, then his appearance on the late-night talk show was a huge success.
Still, some conservatives are taking their criticism of Obama’s comedic offerings way too seriously. One right-wing blogger has absurdly suggested that Obama’s appearance on Fallon’s show somehow violated campaign finance laws because the president used “a broadcast station” to push a campaign agenda.
It’s a notion that will fall on deaf ears, but it’s also a classic example of how far Republicans will go to nitpick everything Obama.
The president is one of the most politically savvy politicians in history. He understands how to market himself to an electorate and, even with a few missteps, he generally knows what works.
This is a new day for elected leaders: in a fast-paced, 24-hour news cycle, politicians are constantly reinventing themselves and working on ways to remain relevant and likable to voters of all ages, racial and ethnic backgrounds and genders.
Obama gets it – as did former president Bill Clinton who was widely praised after he played the saxophone during an appearance on the Arsenio Hall Show in 1992 when Clinton was running for president. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTkUeb6zQFA
Clinton locked up the youth vote, in part, because he played the heck out of that sax on national television and became the first presidential candidate to perform in a musical segment on a late-night talk show.
Just as a reminder, Bill Clinton was elected to the White House in 1992 after what was considered an unconventional campaign strategy. Perhaps Obama is hoping that history will repeat itself.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
28 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 28
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 28
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 28
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 28
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 28
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 28
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 28
8. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
8 of 28
9. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
9 of 28
10. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
10 of 28
11 of 28
12. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
12 of 28
13. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
13 of 28
14. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
14 of 28
15. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
15 of 28
16. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
16 of 28
17. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
17 of 28
18. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
18 of 28
19. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
19 of 28
20 of 28
21. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
21 of 28
22. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
22 of 28
23. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
23 of 28
24. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
24 of 28
25. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
25 of 28
26. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
26 of 28
27. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
27 of 28
28. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
28 of 28