We had a lot of fun talking about the topic of “When My Mama Went Crazy” on the TJMS today. It’s a subject we can all relate to, including me.
As a kid, as a teen, and as an adult, I’ve always had a lot to say -okay, clearly I’ve been talkative all of my life.
My mother, who is not quite as outgoing as me, has always encouraged me to ask questions, speak my mind, and to not be afraid. These are good principles to instill in your child, at least until it backfires on you, right?
I’m not sure what it is about teen-age years that make us feel like we can conquer the world. In fact, we should try. That is, until somewhere in the translation of “world” we think mama is included – not so much. Mama’s are a different world unto themselves.
And, if I never knew that, I certainly learned that truth on the day my “Mama Went Crazy.” For whatever reason, the dumb-demon got a hold on me, and as I was expressing myself to my mother she did something that provoked me to take a stance like I was going to hit her back – The thing is, I can’t remember exactly what because clearly, I was out of my mind!
In addition to getting a beat-down, I got the whole “I brought you into to this world and I will take you out” speech. And, I think she really meant it. My mother almost beat me like I was a stranger stealing from her. My grandmother had to run into the room and beg her not to kill her child. I know she “saw red” as we say when we’re at out highest height of anger. That day, I realized my mother was the strongest person in the world. Once she finally got off of me, I had to peel myself off of my grandmother’s hot plastic couch covering.
Thank God for grandmother’s, they save us time and time again, I’m sure we all have a horror story. Like the summer when our senior producer Nikki was about 14 years old; she was feeling grown-ish and would come out of her mouth smarty pants-like to her mom. Her grandma, who was visiting, would consistently save her from her mother’s wrath. But, the minute her mother took grandma to the airport, guess who got the ultimate payback? Nikki says she didn’t come out of her room for two days afterwards.
As for me, I’m in my thirties now; and one time of my mama going crazy is all it took. I’m still scared of her. Ironically, when I have kids, I want to put that same fear inside of them-it’s called respect!
Are you the crazy mom or did you have one? Please comment, we want to hear form you.
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. She can be reached at Deyadirect@aol.com , Deyadirect.com, or on Facebook.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30