We had a lot of fun talking about the topic of “When My Mama Went Crazy” on the TJMS today. It’s a subject we can all relate to, including me.
As a kid, as a teen, and as an adult, I’ve always had a lot to say -okay, clearly I’ve been talkative all of my life.
My mother, who is not quite as outgoing as me, has always encouraged me to ask questions, speak my mind, and to not be afraid. These are good principles to instill in your child, at least until it backfires on you, right?
I’m not sure what it is about teen-age years that make us feel like we can conquer the world. In fact, we should try. That is, until somewhere in the translation of “world” we think mama is included – not so much. Mama’s are a different world unto themselves.
And, if I never knew that, I certainly learned that truth on the day my “Mama Went Crazy.” For whatever reason, the dumb-demon got a hold on me, and as I was expressing myself to my mother she did something that provoked me to take a stance like I was going to hit her back – The thing is, I can’t remember exactly what because clearly, I was out of my mind!
In addition to getting a beat-down, I got the whole “I brought you into to this world and I will take you out” speech. And, I think she really meant it. My mother almost beat me like I was a stranger stealing from her. My grandmother had to run into the room and beg her not to kill her child. I know she “saw red” as we say when we’re at out highest height of anger. That day, I realized my mother was the strongest person in the world. Once she finally got off of me, I had to peel myself off of my grandmother’s hot plastic couch covering.
Thank God for grandmother’s, they save us time and time again, I’m sure we all have a horror story. Like the summer when our senior producer Nikki was about 14 years old; she was feeling grown-ish and would come out of her mouth smarty pants-like to her mom. Her grandma, who was visiting, would consistently save her from her mother’s wrath. But, the minute her mother took grandma to the airport, guess who got the ultimate payback? Nikki says she didn’t come out of her room for two days afterwards.
As for me, I’m in my thirties now; and one time of my mama going crazy is all it took. I’m still scared of her. Ironically, when I have kids, I want to put that same fear inside of them-it’s called respect!
Are you the crazy mom or did you have one? Please comment, we want to hear form you.
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer on the Tom Joyner Morning Show. She can be reached at Deyadirect@aol.com , Deyadirect.com, or on Facebook.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31