Welcome back to the Girlfriend FM blog. As promised, this is the third part of our “more” series: More money, more men and more of me. Me, being you and I.
In the course of life’s hustle, in trying to get it all done, we ironically forget to take care of the person we need the most – you and me. I talked to TJMS commentator and new author Jeff Johnson about this topic, and he really broke it down (Click here for the real!) His book is titled, “Everything I’m Not Made Me Everything I Am: Discovering Your Personal Best.”
I recently had my own come-to-Jesus experience, where I had to get back to the basics of self-help. I call this my “God stole my purse” story. Here’s what happened:
I had been in a rush after work. I stopped home for a moment, and then I was off to the gym. As I was leaving out, I couldn’t find my purse. After looking all around and retracing my steps, I assumed I had left it in my office. But when I arrived to work, I could not find it. Now I was getting scared.
I’ve had my identity stolen before, and it was not only violating but very expensive. Someone went Christmas shopping on me and then some – and I only found out when I was trying to apply for a loan, and discovered I had bad credit. It took me seven years to clear up my credit. I’m still getting letters from some of those bill collectors over 10 years later.
As I thought back on this, panic began to set in. I alerted everyone I could, canceled my cards, and looked around again and again.
When I finally went home that night, I prayed in a way that I haven’t in a long time. I didn’t ask for anything; I just knew I was out of sorts, and it was time for me to go back to my Source.
Lo and behold, when I stood up, my purse was there clear as day. I was looking at it, and it was looking back! Of course, I felt like Boo-Boo the Fool. My panic took a lot of people through a lot of changes, and for what? For two days, I couldn’t see what was in front of me the entire time, and yet after I went home, literally and spiritually, the scales were dropped from my eyes.
That was my lesson.
I knew I needed to slow down and spend more time with God. I knew that I needed to take some time to get centered in order to re-apply myself to my purpose. But I didn’t want to deal with “the call” God has on my life. I just wanted to have some fun and not deal with responsibility. I got away with it for a while, but clearly my time is up, and play time is over.
God truly works in mysterious ways. To most, losing my purse and then retrieving it may just seem like I’m absent-minded. Okay, I am – but there’s more to it. Every woman reading this can relate to what comes over us when we misplace our purse. God knew how to get my attention. The revelation is that what we need, who we need and how we need it is usually right there in front of our face, but until we are ready, centered spiritually and emotionally, surrendered, open to truth and willing to do what we know we’re supposed to do, we will miss the blessing.
Today, consider that it’s time to stop looking around. Look to all that’s within you. You already have everything you need. Find yourself again and take care of you! Why? So that, as Jeff says, you a can discover your personal best.
Deya “Direct” Smith is a producer for “The Tom Joyner Morning Show.” Please send your story or topic of interest to Deyadirect@aol.com, or call 1-800-JOYNER2 to leave your comment on the voicemail.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31