The worst kind of brawl you can get into is one with an opponent who has nothing to lose.
Think about it.
How many times have you seen a team fighting for a play-off spot taken down by a team that has no chance of going anywhere? For some reason, when there isn’t as much as stake, we fight harder and sometimes dirtier.
J. Anthony Brown jokes about an angry ex threatening to key his car, saying, “Go ahead and call the police. I BEEN to jail before!” He couldn’t scare her by making her think of the consequences of being arrested. In her mind, she had been there, done that and was letting him know she had no problem with going back to jail. She took away his leverage because she had nothing to lose.
When I watch some of the moves the Republicans are making these days, they remind of me of a group of spoiled children who would rather break their toys than share them with others. Besides getting one of their own elected – which is exactly what they’re supposed to be doing – their aim is just to take down President Obama, and, if they have to, the country with it.
Their fervor and fury to defeat the president is not driven by patriotism or even competition, but by hate and, in a lot of cases, racism. There are some people who will never support, accept or go along with one thing the president proposes because they cannot get past the fact that he is a black man.
The Republicans have always been great at sticking together and supporting candidates, policies and the party line, no matter what. In fact, I’ve always thought it was a brilliant strategy to be able to get so many people to go along, no matter how shaky or how little sense it made.
But this is something different – and please don’t argue by pointing to the overwhelming support that the Big Chief gets from African-Americans. For most, our support for the president is based on his remarkable capability to lead and, of course, our pride in the fact that he is black man.
If the Republicans had a candidate half as good as the president, I would get it. But if they combined Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich, they wouldn’t have a candidate as good as Mitt Romney – and they don’t want him.
I’m probably spending way too much time thinking about it, but after seeing the GOP debate, I’m convinced of three things:
1) The Republican Party has someone one else they’re going spring on us later in the game.
2) They just don’t want to win because they know they can’t do any better than President Obama is doing.
3) Um, uh … what is the third thing I’m convinced of? Wait, er … EPA. No? Hmmm. I can’t remember. Oops.
But despite the weird stuff that’s going in the Republicans’ camp, we can’t let it lull us into thinking that President Obama is a shoe-in in 2012. Because we know from history that if the election’s close, the Republicans will steal it, and we know that no matter who they run, they’ll turn out in huge numbers to vote. We’ve got to go to the polls with the same kind of enthusiasm as we did in 2008. No walking, no trotting to the bases, no coasting into the end zone because we can’t afford to think like we’ve got this thing.
The fact that Herman Cain is raising the most money and is leading in the polls is enough proof that nothing can be taken for granted.
This Thanksgiving, when you’re sitting around the table with your family and friends, take an informal poll and make sure every single one of them is registered to vote and that no one is thinking that President Obama will be elected whether they go to the polls or not. And more importantly, remind them that if the Big Chief doesn’t get elected, we have plenty to lose.
Things won’t be better or even the same. They’ll be worse.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31