The worst kind of brawl you can get into is one with an opponent who has nothing to lose.
Think about it.
How many times have you seen a team fighting for a play-off spot taken down by a team that has no chance of going anywhere? For some reason, when there isn’t as much as stake, we fight harder and sometimes dirtier.
J. Anthony Brown jokes about an angry ex threatening to key his car, saying, “Go ahead and call the police. I BEEN to jail before!” He couldn’t scare her by making her think of the consequences of being arrested. In her mind, she had been there, done that and was letting him know she had no problem with going back to jail. She took away his leverage because she had nothing to lose.
When I watch some of the moves the Republicans are making these days, they remind of me of a group of spoiled children who would rather break their toys than share them with others. Besides getting one of their own elected – which is exactly what they’re supposed to be doing – their aim is just to take down President Obama, and, if they have to, the country with it.
Their fervor and fury to defeat the president is not driven by patriotism or even competition, but by hate and, in a lot of cases, racism. There are some people who will never support, accept or go along with one thing the president proposes because they cannot get past the fact that he is a black man.
The Republicans have always been great at sticking together and supporting candidates, policies and the party line, no matter what. In fact, I’ve always thought it was a brilliant strategy to be able to get so many people to go along, no matter how shaky or how little sense it made.
But this is something different – and please don’t argue by pointing to the overwhelming support that the Big Chief gets from African-Americans. For most, our support for the president is based on his remarkable capability to lead and, of course, our pride in the fact that he is black man.
If the Republicans had a candidate half as good as the president, I would get it. But if they combined Herman Cain, Michele Bachmann, Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich, they wouldn’t have a candidate as good as Mitt Romney – and they don’t want him.
I’m probably spending way too much time thinking about it, but after seeing the GOP debate, I’m convinced of three things:
1) The Republican Party has someone one else they’re going spring on us later in the game.
2) They just don’t want to win because they know they can’t do any better than President Obama is doing.
3) Um, uh … what is the third thing I’m convinced of? Wait, er … EPA. No? Hmmm. I can’t remember. Oops.
But despite the weird stuff that’s going in the Republicans’ camp, we can’t let it lull us into thinking that President Obama is a shoe-in in 2012. Because we know from history that if the election’s close, the Republicans will steal it, and we know that no matter who they run, they’ll turn out in huge numbers to vote. We’ve got to go to the polls with the same kind of enthusiasm as we did in 2008. No walking, no trotting to the bases, no coasting into the end zone because we can’t afford to think like we’ve got this thing.
The fact that Herman Cain is raising the most money and is leading in the polls is enough proof that nothing can be taken for granted.
This Thanksgiving, when you’re sitting around the table with your family and friends, take an informal poll and make sure every single one of them is registered to vote and that no one is thinking that President Obama will be elected whether they go to the polls or not. And more importantly, remind them that if the Big Chief doesn’t get elected, we have plenty to lose.
Things won’t be better or even the same. They’ll be worse.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30