There’s something very spiritual and powerful about the end of the year and the beginning of a new one. I’m not simply reflecting on the Christmas holiday because, in all truth, the way we celebrate it is not very pure. We say Jesus is the reason for the season, but in essence, if Jesus is in your life, it’s not seasonal at all.
However, this time symbolically and literally reflects something that’s ending and something that’s starting anew. We must all consider what’s working well or not working at all in our lives and thus make decisions about where we want to go from here.
For so many of us, the circumstances are such that we often don’t know if we’re going or coming because it feels as if we are not in control of certain circumstances. In these situations, there actually is something we can control – ourselves.
I know it’s hard to get into the spirit of the holiday if your money, your honey or both are acting funny. Those two situations alone are enough to make you feel out of control, right? To the point where you can’t even eat or sleep properly because your heart aches or your spirit can’t rest due to worry. I know what both of those places feel like because I’ve been deep into the dark place of personal pain before, and it’s not easy.
We all have pity parties, but it’s not a place that you can stay very long because that turns into depression. I believe that it is virtually impossible to enjoy life if you don’t have peace. So how do we rise above the strain and struggle in order to get on our path of new beginnings? I submit, that it’s love.
In 1 Corinthians 13, this is how love is defined. Read it, and then re-read it:
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
Powerful, right? So you see, no matter who done ya wrong, no matter what you didn’t get for Christmas or who didn’t show up for you, if love in its truest form prevails, in the end, all will be good with you.
As we end one year, and step into a new one. Please let love begin anew in you, for you, and pass it on to everyone who comes your way, even if they don’t love you back. I know that’s a tall order, but spreading love is a good thing, and it will come back to you. Plus, if you think about it, isn’t that what God does for us everyday?
Peace on Earth to All!
Deya “Direct” Smith, is a TJMS producer and can be reached directly at DeyaDirect@aol.com
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25