I’ve probably attended more graduation ceremonies that I can count in my lifetime.
Recently, I came to the conclusion that – at high school graduations, especially – maybe it’s time to flip the script. I mean, each commencement exercise is so predictable: Speeches from the valedictorian and salutatorian, remarks from the senior class officers and special recognition for the top 10 percent of the class.
Don’t get me wrong; I’m not begrudging those honors to any deserving student. If you have a child who falls into any of those categories, you both should be congratulated for hard work, dedication and all that it takes to consistently perform well academically. What I’m saying is why not let us hear from some other kids too?
After all, every student who actually graduates has made a major accomplishment. As many will discover years after graduation, some of the students who distinguished themselves the least academically turn out to be people who have the most interesting things to say. If you take look at many of the dignitaries who are asked to come back to speak to graduation classes, they are not the necessarily the ones who were straight-A students in high school.
Popular commencement speaker Dolly Parton says, she hated school. “Even to this day,” she’s said, “when I see a school bus, it’s just depressing to me.”
Bill Cosby, who is a great advocate of education and one of the most sought-after speakers, dropped out of high school to join the Navy.
I’ve been blessed to have gotten several honorary doctorate degrees, and I’ve never made a secret of my average GPA. And as much as I love to read about and hear from people who have been super-achievers for most of their lives, I know that college campuses, factories, corporations, communities and the world are made up of all kinds of people: Brilliant, average, boring and funny – so why shouldn’t a graduation ceremony include all of those people? Why not a few remarks from the class clown? What words of advice does the defensive back of the football team have to offer? What is the outlook of the kid who’s been bullied since the first day of school?
I have a feeling even the best and the brightest wouldn’t mind sharing the spotlight on the day that belongs to every student in the class. In these days especially, when dropout rates are at record levels, the student who comes from a broken home, raised by a single grandmother on a fixed income who hangs in there, puts in the work and walks across that stage on Graduation Day is worthy of more than the role of an ”extra,” in my opinion.
The Bible says the first shall be last, not as a put down to the winners, but to remind those at the bottom to be hopeful and to endure.
Time and time again, the ones who get the least attention in high school go on to distinguish themselves in all kinds of ways. But I say it’s time for them to take their place at center stage a lot sooner than that. Maybe if the strengths of more average students were celebrated on Graduation Day, more below-average students would stick around until the end.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25