How many times have we mouthed the lyrics to “We Shall Not Be Moved,” “Oh Freedom” and “We Shall Overcome” without really thinking about the meaning of the words – let alone actually imagining or recalling what it was like to sing them while in the trenches?
Celebrating the legacy of Dr. Fred Shuttlesworth stirs up the emotion, the pain, and the victory behind the words to these protests songs and brings them to life.
When we look at all that Dr. Shuttlesworth accomplished, it is clear that his journey moved us forward. It’s been said over and over that he walked the walk, but that is an understatement.
Reverend Shuttlesworth marched the march.
Walking is one thing, but marching is something else.
You can take a walk, a stroll, a stride through life and barely get your heart rate up. You can be unfocused and daydream your way to your destination. But, marching requires a lot more. To march is to move forward with deliberate motion, standing tall, shoulders back, head up high. Proud, courageous, determined.
Marching is walking with a purpose!
Dr. Shuttlesworth bravely marched through life, through battlefields, minefields and firestorms – never looking back, never giving up, never getting turned around.
He boldly and triumphantly led a movement that changed the world and, when the time was right, humbly stepped out of the limelight for the sake of the movement. In the end, he knew it was less about him and more about freedom and equality.
They don’t make leaders like that anymore.
As we approach the November 2012 election and the elections before and after, let’s think of the Reverend Shuttlesworths, the Dr. Kings, the Rev. Abernathy’s, the John Lewises. Let’s use the momentum of today’s celebration of life to march us toward the polls.
The generations born after the civil rights movement seem to think that they missed out on something and that they will never have the opportunity to be part of something great.
Well, let me tell you something: Rev. Shuttlesworth didn’t set out to do something great; he set out to do something right. We all have that opportunity, and it starts with one step. If you know someone who isn’t registered to vote, take down this number: 1-866-MY-VOTE-1.
Don’t take it lightly. Every time you decide not to take part in an election, you’re denigrating the work of the many whose shoulders we stand on. Let’s not get distracted. Let’s not get thrown off. Let’s not get turned around.
This is our movement; this is our moment. Not some day, but now.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30