How many times have we mouthed the lyrics to “We Shall Not Be Moved,” “Oh Freedom” and “We Shall Overcome” without really thinking about the meaning of the words – let alone actually imagining or recalling what it was like to sing them while in the trenches?
Celebrating the legacy of Dr. Fred Shuttlesworth stirs up the emotion, the pain, and the victory behind the words to these protests songs and brings them to life.
When we look at all that Dr. Shuttlesworth accomplished, it is clear that his journey moved us forward. It’s been said over and over that he walked the walk, but that is an understatement.
Reverend Shuttlesworth marched the march.
Walking is one thing, but marching is something else.
You can take a walk, a stroll, a stride through life and barely get your heart rate up. You can be unfocused and daydream your way to your destination. But, marching requires a lot more. To march is to move forward with deliberate motion, standing tall, shoulders back, head up high. Proud, courageous, determined.
Marching is walking with a purpose!
Dr. Shuttlesworth bravely marched through life, through battlefields, minefields and firestorms – never looking back, never giving up, never getting turned around.
He boldly and triumphantly led a movement that changed the world and, when the time was right, humbly stepped out of the limelight for the sake of the movement. In the end, he knew it was less about him and more about freedom and equality.
They don’t make leaders like that anymore.
As we approach the November 2012 election and the elections before and after, let’s think of the Reverend Shuttlesworths, the Dr. Kings, the Rev. Abernathy’s, the John Lewises. Let’s use the momentum of today’s celebration of life to march us toward the polls.
The generations born after the civil rights movement seem to think that they missed out on something and that they will never have the opportunity to be part of something great.
Well, let me tell you something: Rev. Shuttlesworth didn’t set out to do something great; he set out to do something right. We all have that opportunity, and it starts with one step. If you know someone who isn’t registered to vote, take down this number: 1-866-MY-VOTE-1.
Don’t take it lightly. Every time you decide not to take part in an election, you’re denigrating the work of the many whose shoulders we stand on. Let’s not get distracted. Let’s not get thrown off. Let’s not get turned around.
This is our movement; this is our moment. Not some day, but now.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25