Like most of the world, I was shocked by the passing of Whitney Houston, and now that reports and speculation of how she may have died are pouring in, my heart goes out even more to her family and close friends.
A week doesn’t go by, it seems, without us having to pay tribute to a celebrity. Just this month, it was Etta James, David Peaston and Don Cornelius. And don’t get me started on how many we’ve lost over the past five years.
In most cases, we don’t see it coming, which should remind us not to wait to show those we love how we feel about them. Valentine’s Day is a good time to do it, but it can’t stop there. Candy and flowers are cool, but we need to play a role in the lives of people who are important to us. We know the people who are hurting and who need are help, and if we’re able, we should take the first step. So many people have said that they wished they could have done more for Whitney. If there’s someone like her in your life, this is the perfect day to make an effort.
Along with tributes from those who loved Whitney’s music, there are lots of personal stories about the kind of mother, friend and mentor she was. When people leave this earth, it leaves lots of room for people to insert themselves into their lives. For some reason, it seems to make us feel better to be able to talk about the last moment we spent with them, the last laugh we shared or the last bit of advice imparted.
Sometimes we – either intentionally or by accident – embellish our last encounters,…usually just to make ourselves feel that we played a big role in their lives. In the past couple of days, I’ve heard story after story about Whitney’s connection to people, the role they played in her life and career and the role she played in theirs.
I wish I had a Whitney story like some of those that I heard, but mine is completely different.
Years ago, back in the ’80s, a record company rep brought a young woman to my radio station and asked if I could spend a few moments talking to her. Because I had some other things scheduled, I didn’t feel like I could squeeze the newcomer in. The rep assured me that this woman was going to be the hottest thing out there, and I would regret not interviewing her.
Of course, that woman was Whitney, and yes, I did regret that mistake for a long time. We all know what she went on to become, and years later, in 2009, when I did finally have the chance to talk to her on the phone, it wasn’t the Whitney that most of us remembered. After a few bad years, hard times and a stay in rehab, she came on the “TJMS” to talk about her latest CD.
It was clear that she was struggling, but she couldn’t have been nicer or more enthusiastic about the hope that being a come back.
There’s so much sadness for us to dwell on. If you listen to the lyrics of her last single, “I Look to You,” it’s very prophetic. Add to that all the people she touched the days before her passing, as well as it all happening the day the man who commandeered her remarkable career threw his famous pre-Grammy party.
Every day, we learn something more troubling about her last moments, her daughter, her ex, Bobby – and it’s not going to stop.
That’s why I love music. No matter what has transpired in Whitney’s personal life, her music speaks for itself. Those of us who know and love her music, some who had forgotten it and are revisiting it and kids learning about it for the first time recognize her greatness. From “I Wanna Dance with Somebody,” to her stunning version of “The Star-Spangled Banner,” her music will live with us for ever.
The “TJMS” will continue to cover the story because that’s what we do. Our audience looks to us to provide the news, musical tributes, tributes, and we won’t stop. But personally, I wish that the stories, the gossip, the speculation would also be laid to rest. I can’t make that happen. What I can do is simply play her music. I can’t think of a better way to honor her memory.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31