So much has happened in just a little more than three months into 2012. Whitney Houston passed away suddenly. Rush Limbaugh put his fat foot in his mouth. And Oprah’s OWN may be her first professional failure since “Beloved.” Every day, people like me in the media business read the same newspapers, check the same web sites and listen to the same news shows to find stories to tell you that be will interesting, humorous, empowering, inspiring and sometimes tragic.
Some of these stories that really get us going are nothing more than mere distractions that are actually none of our business: are Khloe and Lamar breaking up? Is Bobbi Kristina taking a wrong turn? It it really possible that Beyonce could lose all of her baby weight so soon, so fast?
We know in our heart of hearts there are many more pressing issues for us to be concerned about, yet we’re only human, and we love to be entertained by hearing about other people’s issues.
The worrisome part about following all this stuff is that it takes our attention and energy away from the fact that we are in a real fight to get President Barack Obama elected for a second term.
We have two things working against us.
One is that some of us are letting the current field of Republican hopefuls lull us into thinking the Big Chief doesn’t have any real competition. Wrong. The hate that so many people have for this president could be far stronger than the love many of us have for him. Some detractors would vote for anyone rather than President Obama and, fueled by that anger and hatred, will show up the polls, come rain or shine.
The other thing working against us in the upcoming presidential election is that the economy really is bad, gas prices really are high, and most of us are really feeling the pinch. My question is will a Republican make it better for us or worse?
You know my feeling on this.
So, where will you get your energy, your momentum, your “can’t let nobody turn me around” commitment to go out to vote in November – no matter what?
A few weeks ago, a young kid, Trayvon Martin, was gunned down by a self-appointed neighborhood watchman who claimed he felt threatened. All around the country, men, women are children are rising up to protest against yet another example of deadly racial profiling. These organized marches, rallies and boycotts are a great thing.
People are also using social media to get their points across. Many mothers – including “Mamas Gone Wild” co-hosts Nikki Woods and Mary Boyce – have posted pictures of their sons on Facebook in honor of Trayvon’s memory. Underneath the pictures read the following: “If you see them walking or even running down the street, they are not armed or dangerous.” And they’re encouraging other moms to do the same.
The senseless killing of Trayvon could possibly be defended by the Stand Your Ground law. It allows people to defend themselves with deadly force. When asked Tuesday if that law needs to change, the Republican governor of Florida, Rick Scott, said “It’s always positive to go back and think about existing laws.”
Not sure what that means, but here’s what I am sure of: The Stand Your Ground law probably would not have passed if more African-Americans went to the polls because sadly, we know we are more likely to be victims when people take crime into their own hands.
Time after time, I’ve tried to come up with a compelling message to send to people who say they don’t have the same kind of inspiration or motivation to vote as those faced with the same kind of blatant racism that black civil rights pioneers experienced.
Well, now we do.
If you have a son, a brother, a nephew or grandson, stand up for him and his right to be safe on the streets in this country. We can’t bring Trayvon back, but we can honor his memory by registering and voting in the 2012 election. Remind every parent, uncle, aunt and grandparent that Trayvon could be the young man that they love, and it’s got to stop.
This November, I will stand up for my two sons, my nephews and my two grandsons. Who will you stand for. Let me know.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30