Michael Jackson’s “This Is It,” to me, was extremely well done. This movie, which captured the spirit of Jackson’s rehearsal process for his final tour, gave us a glimpse into the last days of the artist, performer and superstar. But when he was rehearsing, he had no idea that this really was it – and very shortly thereafter, his life was over.
Have you ever felt that way – that the job, the relationship, the home, the status, the car or whatever it was you wanted, once attained, ended too soon or never lived up to your expectations, thus forcing you to ask, is that it?
How many of us have worked really hard to get a position, only to find out that what we dreamed of wasn’t all we hoped for? What about in a relationship? We can work for years to build a relationship. You invest your heart, mind and spirit into something that you hope will last forever. Then when the relationship ends, sometimes you wonder what all of that effort was for. Is that it?
I’m amazed at how one day you feel like a person is your world, and then, at some point, when things deteriorate, you are looking at them like a stranger – and vice versa.
What about the American dream we all seek – the house, the car, the money? Personally, I certainly have not achieved everything that my heart desires, but I have been blessed. I know what it’s like to have loved and lost. I know what it’s like to be ambitious and get what you thought you wanted, only to realize it wasn’t fulfilling.
Early this year, I purchased a home. Like with many home purchases, especially these days, I jumped through many hoops to get it, and the good news is that I did. But sometimes I feel like my ambition gets in the way of me enjoying life. I say this because once one thing is attained, I immediately move on to the next phase, which means I don’t take enough time to enjoy the now.
For instance, now I’m in the house – and it’s just me. There are so many improvements I want to make, but I don’t have the time or resources to do it at the level or pace that I want. Still, on a larger note, I’m home alone, and in the words of Luther, a house is not a home if there’s no one there …
Now, don’t get me wrong; I know there are many people who wish they could purchase a home and live there all by themselves, with no one bothering them – no kids, no spouse, no dog. I have every intention of enjoying this phase of my life, where I get to have my privacy and do what I want when I want. But truthfully, now that I have the house, I often find myself thinking, Is this it?
We all think the grass is greener on the other side, don’t we?
The point is I’m trying to learn to better appreciate every opportunity that life brings me, but ultimately, accomplishment resonates the deepest when you have someone special to share it with. So while I’m confident that I’m a sexy, spiritual and successful sister – and I worked very hard to get here – for me, this can’t be it. I’m still hungry, I want more. And I want a family of my own to share it all with.
Since we never know when our “this is it” moment will present itself, let’s value
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/7-10/14)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Nite | to the tune of @cnn 😞
1 of 25
2. Got so much work to do but I just wanna stay in bed and binge watch #Gameofthrones and start the new season of #OnceUponATime. I know I can't be the only one. Right? Ha 💤🦁🍂 #saturday
2 of 25
3. Mommy's weekend turn up ❤️👶🏾💕🍼 Wouldn't trade it for nothing. #TeamNoSleep lol #HesMyBiggestBlessing ✨
3 of 25
4. One of them oh shit mont we made it feelings … this shit still be unreal 💯💪🏾 @remyboymonty1738
4 of 25
5. Tickets Available October 14 @ticketmaster.
5 of 25
6. People magazine Home edition has raided my house! Get a sneak peek into the bedroom life of the Leakes and see other parts of my home now at PEOPLE.COM
6 of 25
7. They want to kick you when you down, but kick it when you up
7 of 25
8. Got my advance copy of #Mafia3 at @gamestop. Get yours via link in the bio #Mafia3 #Ad
8 of 25
9. This is some of the cast and our diverse team of writers in the writer's room creating funny sh*t for @nbcmarlon what a fun room! Lots of jokes, great stories and having a great time doing what we love... making people laugh and feel something. Look out for our show next year @nbcmarlon we bringing sitcoms back to NBC
9 of 25
10. #HappySunday☀️Thank you @4everbrandy101 💛💡💛
10 of 25
11. Happy to be back in Central Falls, RI breaking ground for the One Stop Health Center and hosting a local community event with #Vaseline.
11 of 25
12. Thank you all in advance 💋💋💋 #Repost @urbansvintage・・・#TarajiPHenson's memoir #AroundTheWayGirl will be available everywhere TODAY October 11th! Will you be purchasing a copy? #UrbansVintage
12 of 25
13. Moms got my back
13 of 25
14. @galore dinner party glo ✨ thanks to @styledbygiigii
14 of 25
15. 🌹#ThisIsWhatTheTruthFeelsLikeTOUR #forevereve
15 of 25
16. Yes, all those videos I've been posting have led to this: the introduction of skincare to @TYRABeauty! This is the rundown on the new line:Years of research and beauty tips I live by led me to produce the most effective and delightful skincare out there. I'm all about taking really good care of my skin, so I can look like I'm aging in #TyraYears and go filter free on Instagram when I feel like it! Now, it's your turn. ✨My Mama always told me not to wash my face with just my hands. "Tyra, girl, you're just moving the dirt around!" And I've listened. First up is The Clean Machine.... ...a 3-in-1 foaming face wash that cleanses, removes makeup and purified your skin. It has patented technology - a attached Turbo Cleansing Tool - to give you that deep clean that makes your skin feel super fresh. Wanna know more? Yeah, baby. Click that link in my bio.
16 of 25
17. On set of #beingmaryjane like... ❤️😬💃🏾
17 of 25
18. #carouselofhope@yvetteshelton100@makeupbylatrice @thestacetheface@marialuciahohan24
18 of 25
19. I refuse to let a little cold stop me from my daily routines to greatness. #onlythestrongsurvive #warriors
19 of 25
20. Big things begin with big THINKING... #BusinessEthics #SetLife 🎥
20 of 25
21. Goodnight - here's a song
21 of 25
22. Words can't explain the feeling that I have right now.....God is good. look momma I made it. #Harts #Blessed #WhatNow #comedicrockstarshit #4DaysAway
22 of 25
23. I tried to get a better video with out the nasty bib but she started getting mad at me..lol! Big cuz @the_queen_caitlin trying to show her what to do. #MamasToots #HeirBear👑💜
23 of 25
24. Gorgeous Serena joined Beyoncé in Formation last night on stage in New Jersey!!!
24 of 25
25. 😜 @lifeofdesiigner & @rockohill
25 of 25