Michael Jackson’s “This Is It,” to me, was extremely well done. This movie, which captured the spirit of Jackson’s rehearsal process for his final tour, gave us a glimpse into the last days of the artist, performer and superstar. But when he was rehearsing, he had no idea that this really was it – and very shortly thereafter, his life was over.
Have you ever felt that way – that the job, the relationship, the home, the status, the car or whatever it was you wanted, once attained, ended too soon or never lived up to your expectations, thus forcing you to ask, is that it?
How many of us have worked really hard to get a position, only to find out that what we dreamed of wasn’t all we hoped for? What about in a relationship? We can work for years to build a relationship. You invest your heart, mind and spirit into something that you hope will last forever. Then when the relationship ends, sometimes you wonder what all of that effort was for. Is that it?
I’m amazed at how one day you feel like a person is your world, and then, at some point, when things deteriorate, you are looking at them like a stranger – and vice versa.
What about the American dream we all seek – the house, the car, the money? Personally, I certainly have not achieved everything that my heart desires, but I have been blessed. I know what it’s like to have loved and lost. I know what it’s like to be ambitious and get what you thought you wanted, only to realize it wasn’t fulfilling.
Early this year, I purchased a home. Like with many home purchases, especially these days, I jumped through many hoops to get it, and the good news is that I did. But sometimes I feel like my ambition gets in the way of me enjoying life. I say this because once one thing is attained, I immediately move on to the next phase, which means I don’t take enough time to enjoy the now.
For instance, now I’m in the house – and it’s just me. There are so many improvements I want to make, but I don’t have the time or resources to do it at the level or pace that I want. Still, on a larger note, I’m home alone, and in the words of Luther, a house is not a home if there’s no one there …
Now, don’t get me wrong; I know there are many people who wish they could purchase a home and live there all by themselves, with no one bothering them – no kids, no spouse, no dog. I have every intention of enjoying this phase of my life, where I get to have my privacy and do what I want when I want. But truthfully, now that I have the house, I often find myself thinking, Is this it?
We all think the grass is greener on the other side, don’t we?
The point is I’m trying to learn to better appreciate every opportunity that life brings me, but ultimately, accomplishment resonates the deepest when you have someone special to share it with. So while I’m confident that I’m a sexy, spiritual and successful sister – and I worked very hard to get here – for me, this can’t be it. I’m still hungry, I want more. And I want a family of my own to share it all with.
Since we never know when our “this is it” moment will present itself, let’s value
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30