Michael Jackson’s “This Is It,” to me, was extremely well done. This movie, which captured the spirit of Jackson’s rehearsal process for his final tour, gave us a glimpse into the last days of the artist, performer and superstar. But when he was rehearsing, he had no idea that this really was it – and very shortly thereafter, his life was over.
Have you ever felt that way – that the job, the relationship, the home, the status, the car or whatever it was you wanted, once attained, ended too soon or never lived up to your expectations, thus forcing you to ask, is that it?
How many of us have worked really hard to get a position, only to find out that what we dreamed of wasn’t all we hoped for? What about in a relationship? We can work for years to build a relationship. You invest your heart, mind and spirit into something that you hope will last forever. Then when the relationship ends, sometimes you wonder what all of that effort was for. Is that it?
I’m amazed at how one day you feel like a person is your world, and then, at some point, when things deteriorate, you are looking at them like a stranger – and vice versa.
What about the American dream we all seek – the house, the car, the money? Personally, I certainly have not achieved everything that my heart desires, but I have been blessed. I know what it’s like to have loved and lost. I know what it’s like to be ambitious and get what you thought you wanted, only to realize it wasn’t fulfilling.
Early this year, I purchased a home. Like with many home purchases, especially these days, I jumped through many hoops to get it, and the good news is that I did. But sometimes I feel like my ambition gets in the way of me enjoying life. I say this because once one thing is attained, I immediately move on to the next phase, which means I don’t take enough time to enjoy the now.
For instance, now I’m in the house – and it’s just me. There are so many improvements I want to make, but I don’t have the time or resources to do it at the level or pace that I want. Still, on a larger note, I’m home alone, and in the words of Luther, a house is not a home if there’s no one there …
Now, don’t get me wrong; I know there are many people who wish they could purchase a home and live there all by themselves, with no one bothering them – no kids, no spouse, no dog. I have every intention of enjoying this phase of my life, where I get to have my privacy and do what I want when I want. But truthfully, now that I have the house, I often find myself thinking, Is this it?
We all think the grass is greener on the other side, don’t we?
The point is I’m trying to learn to better appreciate every opportunity that life brings me, but ultimately, accomplishment resonates the deepest when you have someone special to share it with. So while I’m confident that I’m a sexy, spiritual and successful sister – and I worked very hard to get here – for me, this can’t be it. I’m still hungry, I want more. And I want a family of my own to share it all with.
Since we never know when our “this is it” moment will present itself, let’s value
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25