I’m no doctor, but as a DJ on a show that reaches a mainly African-American audience of more than 8 million nationwide, I can’t ignore the health crisis in this country – and specifically in the black community. When we kicked off “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day” 10 years ago, we were partnered with the Department of Health and Human Services. Together, we recognized there was a problem and spearheaded a way to at least put a dent in the huge number of health issues that plagued African-Americans. Sometimes it isn’t good to be number-one – namely, when it comes to diseases like diabetes, hypertension, HIV/AIDS and prostate cancer.
“Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day” was more than a call to action; it was a 911 emergency, requiring immediate attention. And not only did our audience respond, but so did our radio affiliates, sponsors and the medical community all over the country.
After a while, we realized that a day didn’t do such an important event justice, so we expanded it to an entire season. This year, it’s April 27th until September 30th. One of the ways we’re celebrating the 10th anniversary is by taking a look at the impact the campaign has had on so many lives. In fact, I’m certain that someone reading this blog right now is still here because of early detection of a disease or condition discovered during a “Doctor Day” visit.
Please comment if you have a praise report. It’s your testimonies each year that inspire us to continue. From our interviews with the First Lady regarding her health initiative to “Get Well Wednesdays,” we are committed to keeping good health information in your face, on the radio and on BlackAmericaWeb.com.
None of us have to look far to find a person who has been neglecting their health; some of us need to just look in the mirror. There are all kinds of reasons for not visiting the doctor – fear, finances and/or just being unaware of what’s going with our bodies are all legitimate hindrances. But that’s what friends, relatives, neighbors and villages are for.
Being healthy is empowering. We can do more, reach more and teach more when we are feeling good. But the truth is feeling good isn’t always enough. The only way to determine how well we’re really doing is to get checked out by a doctor on a regular basis and to make sure our loved ones are doing the same.
We don’t have to accept the idea that because certain ailments run in the family, we’ll let them defeat us too. Let’s use the information we have in our favor and find out how diet, exercise and stopping bad habits like smoking and excessive drinking can help us flip the script. We owe that to ourselves – and to the people who love us.
Happy Take a Loved One to the Doctor Season, y’all. How YOU doin’?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30