I’m no doctor, but as a DJ on a show that reaches a mainly African-American audience of more than 8 million nationwide, I can’t ignore the health crisis in this country – and specifically in the black community. When we kicked off “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day” 10 years ago, we were partnered with the Department of Health and Human Services. Together, we recognized there was a problem and spearheaded a way to at least put a dent in the huge number of health issues that plagued African-Americans. Sometimes it isn’t good to be number-one – namely, when it comes to diseases like diabetes, hypertension, HIV/AIDS and prostate cancer.
“Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day” was more than a call to action; it was a 911 emergency, requiring immediate attention. And not only did our audience respond, but so did our radio affiliates, sponsors and the medical community all over the country.
After a while, we realized that a day didn’t do such an important event justice, so we expanded it to an entire season. This year, it’s April 27th until September 30th. One of the ways we’re celebrating the 10th anniversary is by taking a look at the impact the campaign has had on so many lives. In fact, I’m certain that someone reading this blog right now is still here because of early detection of a disease or condition discovered during a “Doctor Day” visit.
Please comment if you have a praise report. It’s your testimonies each year that inspire us to continue. From our interviews with the First Lady regarding her health initiative to “Get Well Wednesdays,” we are committed to keeping good health information in your face, on the radio and on BlackAmericaWeb.com.
None of us have to look far to find a person who has been neglecting their health; some of us need to just look in the mirror. There are all kinds of reasons for not visiting the doctor – fear, finances and/or just being unaware of what’s going with our bodies are all legitimate hindrances. But that’s what friends, relatives, neighbors and villages are for.
Being healthy is empowering. We can do more, reach more and teach more when we are feeling good. But the truth is feeling good isn’t always enough. The only way to determine how well we’re really doing is to get checked out by a doctor on a regular basis and to make sure our loved ones are doing the same.
We don’t have to accept the idea that because certain ailments run in the family, we’ll let them defeat us too. Let’s use the information we have in our favor and find out how diet, exercise and stopping bad habits like smoking and excessive drinking can help us flip the script. We owe that to ourselves – and to the people who love us.
Happy Take a Loved One to the Doctor Season, y’all. How YOU doin’?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25