I’m no doctor, but as a DJ on a show that reaches a mainly African-American audience of more than 8 million nationwide, I can’t ignore the health crisis in this country – and specifically in the black community. When we kicked off “Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day” 10 years ago, we were partnered with the Department of Health and Human Services. Together, we recognized there was a problem and spearheaded a way to at least put a dent in the huge number of health issues that plagued African-Americans. Sometimes it isn’t good to be number-one – namely, when it comes to diseases like diabetes, hypertension, HIV/AIDS and prostate cancer.
“Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day” was more than a call to action; it was a 911 emergency, requiring immediate attention. And not only did our audience respond, but so did our radio affiliates, sponsors and the medical community all over the country.
After a while, we realized that a day didn’t do such an important event justice, so we expanded it to an entire season. This year, it’s April 27th until September 30th. One of the ways we’re celebrating the 10th anniversary is by taking a look at the impact the campaign has had on so many lives. In fact, I’m certain that someone reading this blog right now is still here because of early detection of a disease or condition discovered during a “Doctor Day” visit.
Please comment if you have a praise report. It’s your testimonies each year that inspire us to continue. From our interviews with the First Lady regarding her health initiative to “Get Well Wednesdays,” we are committed to keeping good health information in your face, on the radio and on BlackAmericaWeb.com.
None of us have to look far to find a person who has been neglecting their health; some of us need to just look in the mirror. There are all kinds of reasons for not visiting the doctor – fear, finances and/or just being unaware of what’s going with our bodies are all legitimate hindrances. But that’s what friends, relatives, neighbors and villages are for.
Being healthy is empowering. We can do more, reach more and teach more when we are feeling good. But the truth is feeling good isn’t always enough. The only way to determine how well we’re really doing is to get checked out by a doctor on a regular basis and to make sure our loved ones are doing the same.
We don’t have to accept the idea that because certain ailments run in the family, we’ll let them defeat us too. Let’s use the information we have in our favor and find out how diet, exercise and stopping bad habits like smoking and excessive drinking can help us flip the script. We owe that to ourselves – and to the people who love us.
Happy Take a Loved One to the Doctor Season, y’all. How YOU doin’?
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31