it to say, the president had the same kinds of questions, concerns and compassion for Troy Davis that most black people have. With so much doubt centering around his guilt, why would the state of Georgia be so hellbent on putting him to death? These are my words, by the way – not the president’s.
Even though he’s the president of the United States, he could not give Troy Davis a pardon, and the way Georgia law is written, even the governor couldn’t have stopped it.
I’m not going to take on the ridiculous exercise of somehow trying measure the Big Chief’s “blackness.” I’m done with that. But I will say to black people living, working, and raising children in mainstream America: You know exactly what it’s like to be in a position where any movement you make toward sympathizing or empathizing with the plight of African-Americans, you are perceived to be militant, reverse racist or both.
In the words of a veteran New York news reporter who wasn’t invited to the luncheon: “If you want something to get out, tell a broadcaster not to say anything.”
The president is a brilliant man, and just maybe he knew that his feelings would leak out and the rest of black America could get a bit of a different side of the prez. He took a chance by inviting us in and was willing to take the fallout when some of what he said got out.
It’s kind of like when, say our friends, movie and now TV executives Will Packer and Rob Hardy, release a new film. They know that a percentage of what they would make will be lost once the movie gets in the bootlegger’s hands. But that doesn’t stop them from releasing movies because they’re looking at the big picture.
Perhaps meeting with his peeps in the media was worth it. I know it meant a lot to me and everyone there. It was like having lunch with old friends and family. I can only imagine how less stressed he would be if he could regularly sit down and break bread with black media.
I wish that we could take on the big picture mentality and not get sidetracked by and thrown off by things intended to make us change course. I’m not discounting for a second the impact that high unemployment is having on us. The economy sucks, yes. But I don’t think it will suck any less if we stay home from the polls and don’t support President Obama in 2012.
If you know anyone who isn’t registered to vote, help us all out. Have them register by phone at 866-MY-VOTE-1.
That, by the way, is on the record.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31