When the very first “Fantastic Voyage” set sail almost 12 years ago, the world was a whole lot different.
In 1999, there had been no September 11th disaster and no TSA, so air travel was a lot less stressful, and you could bring everything on board the plane – from your grandmama’s fried chicken to a 128-ounce bottle of lotion – no questions asked. Back then, you said goodbye to the loved ones you were leaving behind like you were going into orbit for seven days because you knew that communications would virtually cease. Sure, you could call from your cell phone – if you had one in 1999, but it would cost you way more than you wanted to pay.
So, parents with small children worried, and players rejoiced when it became clear that life on a cruise ship meant you were entering a private sanctum in which whatever happened happened – unless you chose to share – would be between you and about 2,000 other guests. It didn’t take long for people to enjoy their new-found freedom on the sea, and when we saw some things that I wouldn’t dare publish in a blog, we came up with the phrase, “What happens on the ship stays on the ship.”
Our first cruise year was actually the first year that camera cell phones were introduced, but it wasn’t until a couple of years later that they were used for good and evil on the ship. A few years later, cruisers began to expect Internet access, but it was limited mostly to members of the media. But now, thanks to smart phones and wireless everything, anything you say or do could wind up on YouTube, someone’s Facebook page, on Twitter – and who knows where else. Our smart phones have outsmarted us, and there’s no turning back now.
It’s amazing that the many high profile singers, comedians, politicians and even church officials who have cruised with us over the years have not been able to point to the cruise as the source of their demise. The ones who have taken a fall were busted – allegedly – on land, far away from the beach parties, the hot tubs and the cozy corners of the bars where, let’s just say, a lot has happened over the years.
So, a few years ago, when it was clear that keeping things under wraps on the cruise was no longer possible, we joined in by including daily coverage – and yes, photos – on BlackAmericaWeb.com. It’s hard out there for a player, but they went down fighting, declaring a couple of years ago, “What happened on the ship never happened.” It was catchy, but pictures, unless they’ve been Photoshopped, don’t lie. Denial works on the ship for about as long as it works back at the house. Eventually, the truth will come out. It always does.
So, my point is not to encourage people to do anything other than have the best time on the cruise (and off) that you possibly can.
We have for the first time this year implemented the “Pep Rule,” honoring the request of Pepa from Salt N Pepa that no photos or videos be taken from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. so guests and performers can really party like they just don’t care. We’ll do our best – but you know how that goes. In reality, whether there are cameras or not, we’re all accountable for what we do and who we do it with.
A TJMS staff member’s teenage daughter recently got a Facebook page and was reluctant to “friend” family members because she wondered how they would judge her. Her mama told her right. Whether you’re on Facebook or at the mall, you should always act like someone who loves you is watching.
We’re all grown and sexy on the “Fantastic Voyage,” but that’s not bad advice for us either!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30