When the very first “Fantastic Voyage” set sail almost 12 years ago, the world was a whole lot different.
In 1999, there had been no September 11th disaster and no TSA, so air travel was a lot less stressful, and you could bring everything on board the plane – from your grandmama’s fried chicken to a 128-ounce bottle of lotion – no questions asked. Back then, you said goodbye to the loved ones you were leaving behind like you were going into orbit for seven days because you knew that communications would virtually cease. Sure, you could call from your cell phone – if you had one in 1999, but it would cost you way more than you wanted to pay.
So, parents with small children worried, and players rejoiced when it became clear that life on a cruise ship meant you were entering a private sanctum in which whatever happened happened – unless you chose to share – would be between you and about 2,000 other guests. It didn’t take long for people to enjoy their new-found freedom on the sea, and when we saw some things that I wouldn’t dare publish in a blog, we came up with the phrase, “What happens on the ship stays on the ship.”
Our first cruise year was actually the first year that camera cell phones were introduced, but it wasn’t until a couple of years later that they were used for good and evil on the ship. A few years later, cruisers began to expect Internet access, but it was limited mostly to members of the media. But now, thanks to smart phones and wireless everything, anything you say or do could wind up on YouTube, someone’s Facebook page, on Twitter – and who knows where else. Our smart phones have outsmarted us, and there’s no turning back now.
It’s amazing that the many high profile singers, comedians, politicians and even church officials who have cruised with us over the years have not been able to point to the cruise as the source of their demise. The ones who have taken a fall were busted – allegedly – on land, far away from the beach parties, the hot tubs and the cozy corners of the bars where, let’s just say, a lot has happened over the years.
So, a few years ago, when it was clear that keeping things under wraps on the cruise was no longer possible, we joined in by including daily coverage – and yes, photos – on BlackAmericaWeb.com. It’s hard out there for a player, but they went down fighting, declaring a couple of years ago, “What happened on the ship never happened.” It was catchy, but pictures, unless they’ve been Photoshopped, don’t lie. Denial works on the ship for about as long as it works back at the house. Eventually, the truth will come out. It always does.
So, my point is not to encourage people to do anything other than have the best time on the cruise (and off) that you possibly can.
We have for the first time this year implemented the “Pep Rule,” honoring the request of Pepa from Salt N Pepa that no photos or videos be taken from 1 a.m. to 6 a.m. so guests and performers can really party like they just don’t care. We’ll do our best – but you know how that goes. In reality, whether there are cameras or not, we’re all accountable for what we do and who we do it with.
A TJMS staff member’s teenage daughter recently got a Facebook page and was reluctant to “friend” family members because she wondered how they would judge her. Her mama told her right. Whether you’re on Facebook or at the mall, you should always act like someone who loves you is watching.
We’re all grown and sexy on the “Fantastic Voyage,” but that’s not bad advice for us either!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31