“Dang, I’m usually first in line. Looks like I’m about 20th, and er’body looks like me!” – LAUROSELLE from the 902 area code
For me, going to the polls to vote today is a no-brainer – and for a lot of you too. And it’s starting to make me wonder whether building up lots of hype leading to elections helps or hurts us.
I mean, on one hand, the benefit is undeniable. At election time, reaching out to voters, volunteering to get the information out, holding marches and rallies, buying ads, and going full court press on the community all work together to increase turnout.
“My workers must vote before they come to work!” – LOUISE from the 704
When President Barack Obama campaigned for the 2008 election, the voting message was constantly being hammered home – in churches, schools, community centers, colleges, sorority and frat houses, concerts, comedy clubs – any where that black people gathered. I can’t imagine anything topping the push we got or gave in 2008.
“Can I still vote today if the last time I voted was before the presidential election?” – A texter from 912
So, where do we go from here? Have we conditioned people to feel like going to the polls is a huge event that has to be promoted like a concert? I’ll do that if that’s what it takes. But I wish people would just vote because it’s the right thing to do. We shouldn’t have to try to prove to the people that there are big issues that will have an impact on their lives in this particular election. That’s the case in every election. Every election is important. And we should participate in each one, whether it’s hyped up or not.
“Where my peeps at? Only black person in line at the poll.” – SHAWN from 513
Voting should be as natural as anything else you schedule in your life.
You’re going to see “For Colored Girls.” Go vote.
You’re going to fill out the forms for health insurance on your job. Go vote.
You’re going to get the barber shop every two weeks. Go vote.
You’re going to register your kids for school. Go vote.
You’re going to get your taxes done. Go vote.
You’re going to do your laundry every two days. Go vote.
You’re going to get your weave tightened (Sorry, Sybil!). Go vote!
Make it a habit, and take your kids with you every time so they won’t be made to believe goIng to the polls is an event. If they see you vote in every election – state, local. PTA – they’ll look at voting as something you do because it’s just what you do.
“Good morning, TJMS. I’m in line to vote with eight other people in Cobb County, Georgia!” – A texter from 770
That’ s the way we grew up. That’s why I’m going to the polls today. Not because it’s an all-important mid term election. Not because the country is still jacked up from what the last administration did. Not because, as John Legend pointed out this morning, there’s more poverty in this country than ever. Not even because we want to help President Obama finish what he started – and finish strong. I’m going to vote to because it’s Election Day. Every time.
“Live in the county, so the only people in line were … you know. I wish they WOULD say something. I just voted!!! Yeaaa!” – A texter from the 980
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30