“Dang, I’m usually first in line. Looks like I’m about 20th, and er’body looks like me!” – LAUROSELLE from the 902 area code
For me, going to the polls to vote today is a no-brainer – and for a lot of you too. And it’s starting to make me wonder whether building up lots of hype leading to elections helps or hurts us.
I mean, on one hand, the benefit is undeniable. At election time, reaching out to voters, volunteering to get the information out, holding marches and rallies, buying ads, and going full court press on the community all work together to increase turnout.
“My workers must vote before they come to work!” – LOUISE from the 704
When President Barack Obama campaigned for the 2008 election, the voting message was constantly being hammered home – in churches, schools, community centers, colleges, sorority and frat houses, concerts, comedy clubs – any where that black people gathered. I can’t imagine anything topping the push we got or gave in 2008.
“Can I still vote today if the last time I voted was before the presidential election?” – A texter from 912
So, where do we go from here? Have we conditioned people to feel like going to the polls is a huge event that has to be promoted like a concert? I’ll do that if that’s what it takes. But I wish people would just vote because it’s the right thing to do. We shouldn’t have to try to prove to the people that there are big issues that will have an impact on their lives in this particular election. That’s the case in every election. Every election is important. And we should participate in each one, whether it’s hyped up or not.
“Where my peeps at? Only black person in line at the poll.” – SHAWN from 513
Voting should be as natural as anything else you schedule in your life.
You’re going to see “For Colored Girls.” Go vote.
You’re going to fill out the forms for health insurance on your job. Go vote.
You’re going to get the barber shop every two weeks. Go vote.
You’re going to register your kids for school. Go vote.
You’re going to get your taxes done. Go vote.
You’re going to do your laundry every two days. Go vote.
You’re going to get your weave tightened (Sorry, Sybil!). Go vote!
Make it a habit, and take your kids with you every time so they won’t be made to believe goIng to the polls is an event. If they see you vote in every election – state, local. PTA – they’ll look at voting as something you do because it’s just what you do.
“Good morning, TJMS. I’m in line to vote with eight other people in Cobb County, Georgia!” – A texter from 770
That’ s the way we grew up. That’s why I’m going to the polls today. Not because it’s an all-important mid term election. Not because the country is still jacked up from what the last administration did. Not because, as John Legend pointed out this morning, there’s more poverty in this country than ever. Not even because we want to help President Obama finish what he started – and finish strong. I’m going to vote to because it’s Election Day. Every time.
“Live in the county, so the only people in line were … you know. I wish they WOULD say something. I just voted!!! Yeaaa!” – A texter from the 980
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31