The TJMS is a lot of things to a lot of people, but mainly, it’s a source for entertainment, news, inspiration, information and comedy. That’s a tall order. And on any given day, we can hit our mark in all areas or fall short – and trust me, which of the two depends on who you ask.
A lot of the measuring of how we do comes to us almost instantly from the Text Tom Club. When we began the show with a discussion about the unrest in Egypt, some of the texters said they weren’t interested. A lot of you wanted to hear more about the “Celebration of Gospel” on BET and Whitney Houston’s weight gain. Later on the show, we interviewed Mary Harvey, Steve Harvey’s ex-wife.
Before the interview even took place, my staff and I knew that there was no way that everyone would be satisfied, and we were right. Here was a woman who was once married to a high-profile man and, following an ugly divorce, decided to ignore the judge’s gag order and take her case viral. After dropping three video clips on YouTube that received more than a half-million hits in a couple of days, most of black America, for sure, had heard her version of the story. But to re-cap, she claimed that Steve Harvey cheated, turned her son against her and left her homeless.
We invited Mary on our show not to throw more accusations Steve’s way or attack her character. Most of our audience had the entire weekend to discuss the video and form their own opinions about who they felt was right or wrong. My goal for inviting Mary on the show was to try to figure out to stop the ugliness from spreading any farther than it already had.
Divorce is rampant in the African-American community. The divorce rate for African-Americans is twice as high than that of white and Hispanic Americans. Throw in the pressures of being an entertainer or professional athlete, and the stats are even worse. That’s just a reality. What doesn’t have to be a reality is dragging mates through the mud.
Like it or not, as African-Americans in the spotlight, we have a responsibility not just to ourselves and our families, but our community. It hurt me to the core to see Steve and Mary’s private business put out there for the entire world to see. Not just because Steve is a respected colleague of mine, but because, to mainstream America, Steve represents black America, and so does Mary. When Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen and Larry King screw up, they stand on their own. It isn’t like that for black people. That’s why it’s so much more personal to us when a black celebrity gets himself or herself in trouble.
Getting into trouble is one thing but making trouble for yourself and your family is another. Steve and Mary should have done everything in their power to keep their private messes private. But now that they haven’t, I tried to offer them a way to put their business back where it belongs.
Some of you got my point, but many of you said I was jumping into the mud with them. Some said I was hating on Steve because he’s a competitor, and some said by bringing Mary Harvey on our show, I’d wasted 20 minutes of their time.
In the end, I had the choice of ignoring the story altogether or helping our audience understand what was going on and move on to the next thing. Whether Steve and Mary take my advice on taking their private issues back to the house is their choice. In the meantime, our listeners want to know what stance President Obama will take on the crisis in Egypt and what was up with Chaka Khan’s daughter’s dress at UNCF Evening of the Stars. And not necessarily in that order.
What we say, what we do and what we cover will never please everyone. But even when we fall short, our goal is to reach higher ground together.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30