The TJMS is a lot of things to a lot of people, but mainly, it’s a source for entertainment, news, inspiration, information and comedy. That’s a tall order. And on any given day, we can hit our mark in all areas or fall short – and trust me, which of the two depends on who you ask.
A lot of the measuring of how we do comes to us almost instantly from the Text Tom Club. When we began the show with a discussion about the unrest in Egypt, some of the texters said they weren’t interested. A lot of you wanted to hear more about the “Celebration of Gospel” on BET and Whitney Houston’s weight gain. Later on the show, we interviewed Mary Harvey, Steve Harvey’s ex-wife.
Before the interview even took place, my staff and I knew that there was no way that everyone would be satisfied, and we were right. Here was a woman who was once married to a high-profile man and, following an ugly divorce, decided to ignore the judge’s gag order and take her case viral. After dropping three video clips on YouTube that received more than a half-million hits in a couple of days, most of black America, for sure, had heard her version of the story. But to re-cap, she claimed that Steve Harvey cheated, turned her son against her and left her homeless.
We invited Mary on our show not to throw more accusations Steve’s way or attack her character. Most of our audience had the entire weekend to discuss the video and form their own opinions about who they felt was right or wrong. My goal for inviting Mary on the show was to try to figure out to stop the ugliness from spreading any farther than it already had.
Divorce is rampant in the African-American community. The divorce rate for African-Americans is twice as high than that of white and Hispanic Americans. Throw in the pressures of being an entertainer or professional athlete, and the stats are even worse. That’s just a reality. What doesn’t have to be a reality is dragging mates through the mud.
Like it or not, as African-Americans in the spotlight, we have a responsibility not just to ourselves and our families, but our community. It hurt me to the core to see Steve and Mary’s private business put out there for the entire world to see. Not just because Steve is a respected colleague of mine, but because, to mainstream America, Steve represents black America, and so does Mary. When Mel Gibson, Charlie Sheen and Larry King screw up, they stand on their own. It isn’t like that for black people. That’s why it’s so much more personal to us when a black celebrity gets himself or herself in trouble.
Getting into trouble is one thing but making trouble for yourself and your family is another. Steve and Mary should have done everything in their power to keep their private messes private. But now that they haven’t, I tried to offer them a way to put their business back where it belongs.
Some of you got my point, but many of you said I was jumping into the mud with them. Some said I was hating on Steve because he’s a competitor, and some said by bringing Mary Harvey on our show, I’d wasted 20 minutes of their time.
In the end, I had the choice of ignoring the story altogether or helping our audience understand what was going on and move on to the next thing. Whether Steve and Mary take my advice on taking their private issues back to the house is their choice. In the meantime, our listeners want to know what stance President Obama will take on the crisis in Egypt and what was up with Chaka Khan’s daughter’s dress at UNCF Evening of the Stars. And not necessarily in that order.
What we say, what we do and what we cover will never please everyone. But even when we fall short, our goal is to reach higher ground together.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31