The otherwise blank-faced defendant accused of killing Jennifer Hudson’s family appeared to cry at his trial Wednesday when prosecutors projected photographs onto a large screen of the bloodied body of the youngest victim — Oscar winner’s 7-year-old nephew.
It was the third day of testimony and the first time Hudson’s former brother-in-law, William Balfour, showed any emotion. After his lawyer grabbed a box of tissues and handed it to him, Balfour hung his head and dabbed his eyes in full view of the jury.
One of the graphic photographs showed bullet holes through the top of Julian King’s head. Another showed the boy, nicknamed Juice Box, laying on a medical examiner’s table with his white T-shirt drenched in blood.
Wearing mostly black and with her long hair down over her shoulders, Hudson spent much of the morning outside the courtroom as prosecutors showed the photographs of Julian. Her sister, Julia Hudson, who is Julian’s mother, also stayed out of the room. The sisters walked into court after prosecutors were done showing the photos.
Prosecutors often give victims notice that they are about to enter disturbing evidence to give them a chance to leave.
Balfour was estranged from his wife, Hudson’s sister, at the time of the 2008 killings. Balfour, 30, has pleaded not guilty to murdering Hudson’s mother, brother and nephew.
Balfour showed no emotion Tuesday when prosecutors showed photos of the bodies of Hudson’s mother and brother. The Hudson sisters also left the courtroom for that.
Prosecutors claim Balfour targeted the family in a horrific act of vindictiveness against his Julia Hudson. They believe he became enraged by balloons he saw at the home that he thought were from her new boyfriend.
For their part, defense attorneys have said the killing could be connected to alleged drug dealing by the brother, Jason Hudson.
Jennifer Hudson, the 2004 “American Idol” finalist and 2007 Oscar winner for her role in “Dreamgirls, is expected to attend the entire trial.
Julia Hudson testified Monday that Balfour was so prone to jealousy that, when he lived in the Hudson family home before moving out in early 2008, he even became angry when Julian kissed her.
“He’d say, ‘Get off my wife,'” she said.
Prosecutors contend Balfour went inside the Hudson family house on Chicago’s South Side around 9 a.m. on Oct. 24, 2008, and shot Hudson’s mother and brother. Investigators allege he then drove off in Jason Hudson’s sport utility vehicle with 7-year-old Julian inside, and later shot the boy in the head as he lay behind a front seat.
Jennifer Hudson recounted on the stand Monday how she offered reward money for Julian’s safe return during a frantic three-day search before the boy was found dead in the SUV.
“We were trying everything to get him back,” Hudson said softly, tears rolling down her cheek.
Hudson also described her sister screaming when she saw on the TV news her son’s body had been found.
With no surviving witnesses to the slayings, prosecutors must offer overwhelming circumstantial evidence that Balfour committed them.
Wednesday’s testimony included prosecutors walking a series of experts and investigators through hours of meticulous, seemingly mundane details about how cellphone records are compiled.
Prosecutors say such records show Balfour was in the area of at the time of the killings. Balfour has said he wasn’t. Prosecutors also say Balfour, who otherwise used his phone constantly, didn’t make or answer his cellphone around the time of the killings.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30