OMAHA, Neb. – First Lady Michelle Obama framed the upcoming presidential election as a fight for the nation’s future that will “impact our lives for decades” to come, as well as a fight to uphold a “fundamental” American value that opportunities in this country should not be limited to a “few at the top” and that everybody should “play by the same rules.”
The first lady was in Omaha on Tuesday, where she was the headline speaker at the Girls Inc., annual luncheon. She then attended a fundraiser, held on behalf of her husband, at the Omaha Hilton.
During the fundraiser, Obama stumped in support of her husband’s tax plan, his controversial health-care law and his immigration proposal known as the Dream Act, which would allow young illegal immigrants, who came to this country as children, to earn a pathway toward citizenship by going to college or the military.
As for the president’s proposed tax plan, she said it would provide tax relief to middle-class Americans, that would allow them to heat their homes and send their kids to school. She also argued the so-called Buffett Rule was fair, because it would “close loopholes” so that millionaires and billionaires were not paying less than “firefighters and teachers”
As for health care, Obama talked about several popular provisions in the bill, including forbidding insurance companies from denying people coverage for pre-existing conditions and allowing parents to keep their children on their health plan up to age 26. “Are we going to allow insurance companies to refuse to cover our children?,” she asked.
She also touted Obama’s two “brilliant” Supreme Court nominations, noting that for the “first time in history, our daughters and sons watched three women take seats on the Supreme Court.”
She ended her speech, calling for those in attendance to get involved in the campaign. “Let me ask you one last question. Are you in?,” she asked several times, with the crowd roaring back “yes.”
About 225 people attended the fundraiser, sponsored by Omaha’s famed investor Warren Buffett. Dignitaries included former Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle and former Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey. The starting price for admission was $250, with proceeds going to President Obama’s Victory Fund, a joint fundraising committee of Obama for America and the Democratic National Committee.
Democratic U.S. Senate candidate Bob Kerrey also attended, but he did not appear to be in the crowd when Obama spoke. “He was here. He has stuff to do,” said Obama, to loud applause.
After her Omaha stops, Michelle Obama headed to Des Moines, where she was set to speak to grassroots supporters in that pivotal presidential election state, one of about a dozen swing states expected to play a huge role in this year’s election.
It is a big week for the Obamas in Iowa. The first lady’s appearance comes a day before President Obama is set to stump in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31