It’s pretty well known that obesity is linked to a number of health problems, including type 2 diabetes.
It’s also pretty well known that black Americans have higher incidences of diabetes and poorer health outcomes than their white counterparts.
The good news is that there are a number of ways to prevent or reduce the presence of both diseases.
Good nutrition and exercise are important for prevention and some doctors say good old-fashioned dietary changes and exercise can’t be beat for achieving weight loss. Victoza, an injectable diabetes treatment has been found to help patients reduce and maintain blood sugar at a medically ideal level and precipitated weight loss, but questions have been raised recently about potential side effects.
Dr. Mehmet Oz, however, believes there is an option overlooked by far too many diabetics: gastric bypass surgery.
Oz contends that gastric bypass surgery can help people lose weight, prevent heart disease and cancer, and reverse type 2 diabetes virtually overnight, but that only 1 percent of patients eligible for the surgery elect to undergo the procedure.
The popular surgeon and television host of the “Dr. Oz” show has said that diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, sleep apnea, cancer, asthma, reflux, infertility, low back pain, and osteoarthritis all could be prevented, cured or controlled through gastric banding and the gastric bypass procedure.
Opponents say there are health risks involved with the gastric bypass procedure that should give one pause. They accuse Oz of whitewashing poor outcomes that some patients have experienced, including hair loss and incontinence.
For the obese, however, gastric bypass or banding offers an opportunity to get them back to the starting line to reduce further on their own or maintain the weight loss.
Gastric bypass surgery changes how your stomach and small intestine process the food you eat by making your stomach smaller, making you feel fuller with less food.
With banding, a surgeon places a band around the upper part of your stomach and creates a small pouch that limits how much food you can eat and makes you feel fuller sooner after eating small amounts.
The band can later be adjusted by your doctor so that food can pass slowly or faster through the digestive system.
Any surgery poses risks, but some are intensified by gastric bypass surgery and banding can result in severe gastritis and, in some cases, the band erodes through the stomach and must be removed.
But Oz says the health risks posed by obesity far outweigh those associated with surgery.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25