Much like his playing days, Deion Sanders’ tumultuous marriage has had no shortage of flash and drama: A reality television show, a divorce arrangement in which the couple still lived together and now, misdemeanor assault charges.
Police said late Tuesday that the former Dallas Cowboys star was cited for misdemeanor simple assault in the wake of an altercation with his estranged wife, Pilar, that got her arrested Monday at their mansion in the Dallas suburb of Prosper.
The Hall of Famer had tweeted Monday that she attacked him, and he even posted a photo of his children filling out police reports. He later removed the photo and posted a new message about joy.
Police said further investigation led to a charge also being filed against the football star, though it didn’t warrant his arrest. Prosper police spokesman Celso Martinez wouldn’t detail the allegations, but said the charge covers any act considered aggressive and could be as simple as touching or defensively jerking away from someone’s grip. It carries a fine of up to $500.
A message left with Deion Sanders’ attorney by The Associated Press wasn’t immediately returned.
A day after Pilar was arrested, Deion had removed the tweeted photo. He also tweeted a different message: “Joy came this morning and we opened the door and let Joy in.”
Pilar Sanders, who was charged with misdemeanor assault and held overnight in county jail, was released Tuesday. Standing outside Collin County Jail, she said she was being treated unfairly.
“I’m a full-time mom, 100 percent for my children,” she said, her voice breaking. “And I just haven’t been given a fair shake.”
Her husband, known as “Prime Time” during his Hall of Fame playing career, is an icon in the Dallas area for spending five seasons as a cornerback with the Cowboys.
Deion and Pilar Sanders have been living in the same home in Prosper, months after Deion filed for divorce in December. Deion’s attorney, Rick Robertson, has said both had separate living areas within the large home.
After the alleged attack Monday, Deion tweeted that his children “just witnessed their mother and a friend jump me in my room. She’s going to jail (and) I’m pressing charges!”
The Sanders’ divorce file is under seal and a judge has placed both sides under a gag order.
Earlier Tuesday, before police announced the charge against Deion, Robertson said he didn’t see the tweets as a violation of that order because the alleged attack was a separate issue.
“The assault action that occurred was a criminal action that also constitutes family violence,” he said. “Pilar Sanders was arrested for that and jailed.”
A magistrate judge ordered her Tuesday to stay away from their home for 60 days. The judge also barred her from threatening or harassing her husband, KTVT-TV reported.
Her divorce attorney, Larry Friedman, said he couldn’t comment about her arrest due to the gag order.
“I can tell you that there are two sides to every story and the truth will come out in court,” he said in a statement.
Robertson said Deion regretted the conflict in his family and “having it aired publicly” for his children to see. He would not say why the football star tweeted about the alleged incident.
Pilar Sanders is a model who has appeared on several television shows, including a 2008 Oxygen network reality series about their family’s home life, “Deion & Pilar: Prime Time Love.” The couple married in 1999.
Deion Sanders, who played for five NFL teams and is now an NFL Network analyst, has three children with Pilar and two from a former marriage.
Separately, Pilar Sanders is suing Deion Sanders; his daughter from his first marriage, Deiondra Sanders; and Prime Time Enterprise Inc., for $200 million in damages. That case is scheduled to go to trial in September.
She is also suing Deion Sanders’ aunt, Laura Jones, alleging Jones assaulted her in February, according to the Dallas Morning News.
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31
Continue reading Deion Sanders Cited for Fight with Pilar