Today in five states, primaries will be taking place in Connecticut, Delaware, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island. There are many who have been and continue to be concerned about the voter ID laws passed in over 31 states primarily over the past three years that are requiring every voter to have a state-issued ID. The laws, which have additionally reduced or removed early voting and restricted voter registration efforts are said, by some, to make it more difficult for nearly five million eligible voters to go to the polls.
The NAACP, Rev. Al, and others have been doing what they can to mobilize and create legitimate opposition to the laws, which are on the books. And while I believe that we need to diligently fight these laws state by state, it is essential that we realize that most, if not all of these laws, will not be changed by the time the 19 remaining states have their primaries or even by the general election on Novwmber 6th, 2012.
So that means we have to do two things. The first thing we have to do is educate people on the rules of this new game. GET PEOPLE WHO DON’T HAVE ID’s an ID. For those of you voting in Pennsylvania today the ID rules are pretty straightforward. You need…per the votespa.com:
Photo ID’s issued by the U.S. Federal Government or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:
– Pennsylvania driver’s license or non-driver’s license photo ID (IDs are valid for voting purposes 12 months past expiration date)
– Valid U.S. passport
– U.S. military ID – active duty and retired military (a military or veteran’s ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinite). Military dependents’ ID must contain an expiration date
– Employee photo ID issued by Federal, Pennsylvania, County or Municipal government
– Photo ID cards from an accredited Pennsylvania public or private institution of higher learning
– Photo ID cards issued by a Pennsylvania care facility, including long-term care facilities, assisted living residences or personal care homes
For those of you that don’t think this really hits home, there is a 91-year-old woman in Pennsylvania who has voted in every election for 70 years. She was unable to get an ID, despite having all the documents on the Department of State checklist – birth certificate and Social Security card, both with her maiden name; her marriage certificate; deed to her house; Peco bills; plus her IRS refund check. But because the marriage license was in Hebrew…and no one at the bureau could read Hebrew. She was SOL. This shows not just how silly the law is, but how bad the staff often is at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. It is essential that we don’t allow this to happen to our loved ones.
Churches, families, community centers, Greek letter organizations, and others…PLEASE start raising resources in states where ID’s are not free.
And where you can get them free, bring people together to help them through the process. Partner with local radio and newspapers as well as social media to get the word out. There is no reason why we can’t turn out as many people in 2012 as we did in 2008. It may not seem as exciting, but it is without question just as important. Complain about the laws that there is clearly no basis for. Fight to see them changed. But by all means, do what our community always has. No matter how many times they change the rules, play the game better than they do. It’s all about the ID. Get them and get to the polls.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30