Musician, producer and “American Idol” judge Randy Jackson is serious about music – and his health.
Jackson, a well-known bass guitarist in musical circles, played with many musical legends, including jazz violinist Jean Luc Ponty and the pop-rock band Journey. As a producer, he helped create hits for Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston.
And he worked equally as hard taking care of his health after doctors told him in 2003 that he had type 2 diabetes.
“When I was diagnosed with diabetes, my doctors told me that people with type 2 diabetes have an increased risk of heart disease and stroke,” Jackson told The Philadelphia Business Journal. “This was all I needed to know to take my diabetes to heart. I made changes to my lifestyle and worked with my doctors to set goals for my blood sugar, blood pressure, and cholesterol.”
He also decided his celebrity could call attention to the disease and encourage others to pay more attention to their health as well.
So Jackson has teamed up with pharmaceutical company Merck and its “Take Diabetes to Heart” campaign, touring the country to share his experience with type 2 diabetes and educate others about its serious, related complications, including heart disease.
The Merck program also was designed to provide resources to help people start taking steps to improving their health.
African Americans are 1.4 times more likely to develop diabetes than non-Hispanic whites. In the 65-74 age group, the risk is two-fold.
The American Diabetes Association (ADA) has launched an African American Initiative is focused on prevention and working with youth to make better food choices.
The program aims to help students make healthier choices and make the connection to staying healthier longer.
For instance, patients are given recommendations on alternative recipes for such dishes as collard greens and meats, so that they are not denying themselves traditional foods, but preparing them in healthier ways.
The ADA campaign also focuses on weight and weight-loss programs. For an overweight patient, losing as much as 10 to 20 percent of body mass can have a dramatic effect on the development and extent of diabetes.
In an interview with the National Institutes of Health newsletter, Jackson said he was aware of a family history of diabetes, but was still taken by surprise when he received the diagnosis in his mid-40s and never thought diabetes might be linked to his feeling tired and dehydrated at the time.
The news forced him to reevaluate his lifestyle.
“It was hard to change my eating habits because food for me is emotional—I often found comfort in eating food that happened to be unhealthy,” Jackson said.
Jackson’s doctor helped him develop a plan of diet and exercise and he underwent gastric bypass surgery in 2004 helped him to shed over 100 pounds, which he has managed to keep off.
“Today, I know that regular checkups with a doctor, healthy food choices, and an active lifestyle are extremely important for managing type 2 diabetes. There is no magic cure, and it’s not always easy. But I believe everyone has the potential to take charge and manage the disease in his or her own way. I am living proof that type 2 diabetes can be managed. In fact, taking charge of my lifestyle and making a change to be healthier has made me a stronger, happier person.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30