They’re your favorite girl group’s favorite girl group. Sisters With Voices, the 90’s trio noted for their hits “Weak” “Right Here (Human Nature)” and “Anything” are headed back to the spotlight with the upcoming release of their new CD “I Missed Us.”
Now signed to indie label Mass Appeal/E1 Records, the group released their comeback single “Co-Sign” a few weeks ago. Leanne “LeLe” Lyons, Tamara “Taj” Gamble-George and Cheryl “Coko” Clemmons got their start in New York City in the early 90’s eventually recording their “It’s About Time” CD for RCA in 1992. They were part of the early blend of hip-hop and R&B getting their biggest hits on the strength of their harmonizing over rap-influenced tracks.
As part of a group of 90’s hitmakers that included Shai, Blackstreet, Silk, Jodeci, Total and Xscape and rap acts like Missy Elliot and The Notorious B.I.G., SWV became as well known for their on and offstage antics and love lives as they did for their music. After 7 years and together, the group broke up in 1998. Taj and Coko married, while LeLe continued to raise the children she’d had before the group blew up. Coko began a solo career, recording two albums – one secular, one gospel, while Taj appeared on both “Survivor” and “I Married A Baller” her own reality show about her life with George for TV One.
By 2005, the group reunited and started recording and touring. Although an initial album project didn’t happen, it attracted the attention of Mass Appeal Entertainment/E1 Records who signed them up for a new album project. Not only is their album out now available via download and in stores, they’ll be on tour this spring and summer as well. You can also catch up with them on Centric on Sunday, May 13 at 11 p.m. in their episode of “As Written” which includes behind the scenes footage, interviews and a live performance of some of their new material.
Here are SWV’s upcoming tour dates on the Fresh Music Festival with Doug E. Fresh, Keith Sweat and Guy:
May 18 ATLANTA, GA Funk Fest Wolf Creek Amphitheatre
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂