This week, rapper DMX, who lost both his wife and career to drugs, infidelity and alcohol, admitted on the reality show “Couples Therapy” that part of the reason for his dysfunction was the abuse he took from his mother who he said never loved him. On a new “Behind the Music” the usually private Nas talked about his mother’s death and his difficult divorce from Kelis. On “Love and Hip-Hop” Harlem rapper Jim Jones, never known until then for his soft side, admitted he loves his now fiancée Chrissy Lumpkin. Jay-Z’s most recently charting single was an ode to his then 2-day-old baby girl, Blue Ivy.
Now that rappers are getting older, are they becoming more sensitive? It seems so. And even the younger crew seems to be a little more introspective and nuanced in their music and lyrics. Drake and J.Cole are two of the younger rap stars achieving recent success in a genre that still has its hardcore rappers but has made room for a more balanced artist. As rap is still dominated by young black males, it’s interesting that the kind of music that they make is changing. Does this mean that black men are hoping to reveal more of themselves so that they can be better understood by the world? We’d hope so.
Rapper Common has certainly made a unique mark on the music world. Although all of his records haven’t been as “conscious” as others, he’s long been known for making music that is thoughtful. His “Retrospect for Life” (with Lauryn Hill) dealt with a man’s feelings about abortion, and songs like “The Light” and “Come Close” are odes to the beauty and desirability of black women.
But it was Common’s memoir “One Day It Will All Makes Sense” released last summer, that gave his fans more insight into the mindset of a young black man growing up in the hip-hop generation. In the book, Common allowed his mother, Dr. Mahalia Ann Hines, to add commentary and give her tips on raising a black man. (Common’s parents divorced when he was 6, but his father has remained in his life.) In the memoir, Common talks openly about his relationships, including ones with Taraji P. Henson, Erykah Badu and Serena Williams, his love for his mother and daughter, and his sometimes difficult relationship with his father. He expresses how vulnerable love has made him feel and the challenges and triumphs he’s faced in the industry. It may be one of the most honest hip-hop memoirs ever written. Anyone interested in the development of black men should check it out; mothers of sons, especially.
Yes, there’s more sensitivity in hip-hop. If you’re interested in finding some alternate voices to the Rick Rosses, Li’l Waynes and Wacka Flocka Flames of the world, then you can check out music by Drake, Roc Nation signing J.Cole, and even Wiz Khalifa, who had no problem putting a ring on girlfriend Amber Rose’s finger and publicly professing his love for her. Or you can read Common’s book and gain some understanding not just on what it’s like to create a rap career but what it’s like to create a man. We’re very often critical of rap and the young people who create and consume it. But if we can applaud the rap artists who are revealing more of their emotions in the same way we applaud them in clubs and in arenas, then maybe we’ll create more of them. We need black men to show their softer sides because only then can we give them the love and support they are asking us for.
And that can only improve not just rap music but our relationships and our lives.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31