This week, rapper DMX, who lost both his wife and career to drugs, infidelity and alcohol, admitted on the reality show “Couples Therapy” that part of the reason for his dysfunction was the abuse he took from his mother who he said never loved him. On a new “Behind the Music” the usually private Nas talked about his mother’s death and his difficult divorce from Kelis. On “Love and Hip-Hop” Harlem rapper Jim Jones, never known until then for his soft side, admitted he loves his now fiancée Chrissy Lumpkin. Jay-Z’s most recently charting single was an ode to his then 2-day-old baby girl, Blue Ivy.
Now that rappers are getting older, are they becoming more sensitive? It seems so. And even the younger crew seems to be a little more introspective and nuanced in their music and lyrics. Drake and J.Cole are two of the younger rap stars achieving recent success in a genre that still has its hardcore rappers but has made room for a more balanced artist. As rap is still dominated by young black males, it’s interesting that the kind of music that they make is changing. Does this mean that black men are hoping to reveal more of themselves so that they can be better understood by the world? We’d hope so.
Rapper Common has certainly made a unique mark on the music world. Although all of his records haven’t been as “conscious” as others, he’s long been known for making music that is thoughtful. His “Retrospect for Life” (with Lauryn Hill) dealt with a man’s feelings about abortion, and songs like “The Light” and “Come Close” are odes to the beauty and desirability of black women.
But it was Common’s memoir “One Day It Will All Makes Sense” released last summer, that gave his fans more insight into the mindset of a young black man growing up in the hip-hop generation. In the book, Common allowed his mother, Dr. Mahalia Ann Hines, to add commentary and give her tips on raising a black man. (Common’s parents divorced when he was 6, but his father has remained in his life.) In the memoir, Common talks openly about his relationships, including ones with Taraji P. Henson, Erykah Badu and Serena Williams, his love for his mother and daughter, and his sometimes difficult relationship with his father. He expresses how vulnerable love has made him feel and the challenges and triumphs he’s faced in the industry. It may be one of the most honest hip-hop memoirs ever written. Anyone interested in the development of black men should check it out; mothers of sons, especially.
Yes, there’s more sensitivity in hip-hop. If you’re interested in finding some alternate voices to the Rick Rosses, Li’l Waynes and Wacka Flocka Flames of the world, then you can check out music by Drake, Roc Nation signing J.Cole, and even Wiz Khalifa, who had no problem putting a ring on girlfriend Amber Rose’s finger and publicly professing his love for her. Or you can read Common’s book and gain some understanding not just on what it’s like to create a rap career but what it’s like to create a man. We’re very often critical of rap and the young people who create and consume it. But if we can applaud the rap artists who are revealing more of their emotions in the same way we applaud them in clubs and in arenas, then maybe we’ll create more of them. We need black men to show their softer sides because only then can we give them the love and support they are asking us for.
And that can only improve not just rap music but our relationships and our lives.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30