If you’re in the New York City area this weekend, you can catch bad ass Bobby Brown and New Edition do their thing at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. Memphis fans, Diana Ross is in your area and you know she doesn’t tour much, so you might want to check her out while you can.
For you coach potatoes, there’s plenty of NBA this weekend or you can take a trip down comedy memory lane and catch the original Kings of Comedy on Showtime. Fox celebrates its 25th anniversary with a special on Sunday night. Wonder if Jennifer Lopez will represent the Fly Girls of “Living Color” or the judges of “American Idol” or both? Guess you’ll have to watch and see. And we can’t forget Luther Vandross’ birthday is today. Pick up “Hidden Gems,” a new collection of 15 of Luther’s seldom-heard deep album tracks and movie soundtrack songs. It hits stores on Tuesday. Here’s what else is happening this weekend.
Click here to listen to Nikki Woods’ “What in the Weekend?” segment on The Tom Joyner Morning Show.
All Times Eastern
Friday April 20
“The Original Kings of Comedy” at midnight on Showtime 2
Spike Lee helmed this 2000 classic standup film featuring veteran comedians.
Saturday April 21
“Barbershop 2: Back in Business” at 10:30 on VH1
Cedric The Entertainer, Ice Cube and Eve reprise their roles in the sequel
HBO Sports® Special “Floyd Mayweather: Speaking Out” at 10:30 p.m.
Aan in-depth profile of the boxing superstar. Hosted by Michael Eric Dyson.
“I AM TRAYVON: A Family’s Fight For Justice” at 7:30 p.m.
Amid the frenzy of news coverage on the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, only BET News has followed the family behind the scenes through their 6-week ordeal as they campaigned for personal justice and triggered a national movement.
Sunday. April 22
“Fox 25th Anniversary Special” at 8 p.m. on Fox
Even if you don’t like their news programming chances are you’ve liked some of their hit shows which include “Married With Children” “American Idol” “In Living Color” “The X Files” and “24.” Look for the stars of those shows to appear and more.
“My Kid Would Never Do That” at 7 p.m.
A four-week Dateline series airing on Sundays. This week focuses on driving and texting.
“The Lucky One”
Another love story by Nicholas Sparks, author of “The Notebook” hits the big screen
Zac Efron, Taylor Schilling, Blythe Danner
A definitive documentary with brand new footage sure to satisfy the legions of Bob Marley devotees that still exist 30 years after his untimely death
PG-13 (In limited release)
“The Reverend’s Wife” by Kimberly Lawson Roby
The ninth installment in the Rev.Curtis Black series, this finds the couple struggling to save their ailing marriage despite infidelity on both sides.
THINGS TO DO IN…
Friday, April 20
Tyrese with Calvin Richardson
Atlanta Civic Center
Charlotte Greek Picnic
Uptown Charlotte Marshall Park
Admission is free
Saturday, April 21
NEW YORK CITY
The Theater At Madison Square Garden
Sunday, April 22
The Orpheum Theater Memphis
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31