Tom, next year, for the performances on the Fantastic Voyage Cruise, why don’t you book Michael Jackson, James Brown, Aaliyah, Levert, Whitney Houston and Tupac?
Now for those of you scratching your heads and saying, “What in the world is Stephanie talking about today?”, you must have missed the news this week about the popular concert series where folks who are already in the grave are performing “live on stage.”
Yep, using leading edge graphic and digital technology, a holograph-like image of late rapper Tupac Shakur performed on stage with Snoop and Dr. Dre at the 2012 Coachella Valley Arts Festival this past Sunday in California.
Snoop and Dre had the rapper’s ghostly image created by Digital Domain Media Group, an award-winning visual effects company and the footage is pretty amazing.
Believe it or not, they are now virtually raising the dead, brushin’ ‘em off, stickin’ a mic in their hand, throwin’ ‘em on stage and making ‘em dance.
Tom, just think about what it would mean for the cruise. It would be an amazing show and we could get ‘em to perform for as long as we want, since they’ll never get tired. We don’t even have to get ‘em any water.
And most importantly–and forgive me for what I’m about to say–we won’t have to worry about any of these performers showing up late.
But all bad jokes aside, let’s really think about this for a second. I certainly give credit to Snoop and Dre for coming up with such a creative concept, but really, have we actually come to the point where technology has mixed so much with the real world that promoters are going to start getting rich off of concert tours featuring deceased, virtual performers on stage?
And if so, what’s to stop living performers from cutting new material that can be performed by their virtual counterparts after their deaths as a way of making money for their children, families or estates?
I mean, how do we feel about this? Is this too much? Or should we just embrace the new technology and let it run its course?
And whatever happened to “Keepin’ it real?” Are we creating the technology or is the technology creating us? Books are giving way to ebooks, outdoor fitness and athletics are giving way to virtual workouts on the Nintendo Wii, and shopping online is threatening and closing down brick and mortar stores.
Maybe I’m old school, but I actually still like face-time with real people. I also love the smell and feel of a classic book. And I like going to concerts where the headliners are still living, breathing human beings.
You see, I think that when we leave out the authentic human experience and all of the context, feelings and emotions that come with it, it can leave us feeling a bit like that transparent image of Tupac on stage: hollow.
I don’t know. I need to hear from you on this one. Text us here at 64-64-64 to answer the question: Do you think paying to go and see the virtual image of your favorite dead celebrity perform on stage in concert is a good thing? Would you pay? Why or why not?
And if you haven’t already, you can go to BlackAmericaWeb.com to see the holographic Tupac in concert performing with Snoop and Dr. Dre. We still have that clip running.
Okay. Check it out and let me know what you think. I’ll leave you with these melodic and – I think true– words from Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell:
“Ain’t nothin’ like the real thing baby… ain’t nothin’ like the real thing.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30