Tom, next year, for the performances on the Fantastic Voyage Cruise, why don’t you book Michael Jackson, James Brown, Aaliyah, Levert, Whitney Houston and Tupac?
Now for those of you scratching your heads and saying, “What in the world is Stephanie talking about today?”, you must have missed the news this week about the popular concert series where folks who are already in the grave are performing “live on stage.”
Yep, using leading edge graphic and digital technology, a holograph-like image of late rapper Tupac Shakur performed on stage with Snoop and Dr. Dre at the 2012 Coachella Valley Arts Festival this past Sunday in California.
Snoop and Dre had the rapper’s ghostly image created by Digital Domain Media Group, an award-winning visual effects company and the footage is pretty amazing.
Believe it or not, they are now virtually raising the dead, brushin’ ‘em off, stickin’ a mic in their hand, throwin’ ‘em on stage and making ‘em dance.
Tom, just think about what it would mean for the cruise. It would be an amazing show and we could get ‘em to perform for as long as we want, since they’ll never get tired. We don’t even have to get ‘em any water.
And most importantly–and forgive me for what I’m about to say–we won’t have to worry about any of these performers showing up late.
But all bad jokes aside, let’s really think about this for a second. I certainly give credit to Snoop and Dre for coming up with such a creative concept, but really, have we actually come to the point where technology has mixed so much with the real world that promoters are going to start getting rich off of concert tours featuring deceased, virtual performers on stage?
And if so, what’s to stop living performers from cutting new material that can be performed by their virtual counterparts after their deaths as a way of making money for their children, families or estates?
I mean, how do we feel about this? Is this too much? Or should we just embrace the new technology and let it run its course?
And whatever happened to “Keepin’ it real?” Are we creating the technology or is the technology creating us? Books are giving way to ebooks, outdoor fitness and athletics are giving way to virtual workouts on the Nintendo Wii, and shopping online is threatening and closing down brick and mortar stores.
Maybe I’m old school, but I actually still like face-time with real people. I also love the smell and feel of a classic book. And I like going to concerts where the headliners are still living, breathing human beings.
You see, I think that when we leave out the authentic human experience and all of the context, feelings and emotions that come with it, it can leave us feeling a bit like that transparent image of Tupac on stage: hollow.
I don’t know. I need to hear from you on this one. Text us here at 64-64-64 to answer the question: Do you think paying to go and see the virtual image of your favorite dead celebrity perform on stage in concert is a good thing? Would you pay? Why or why not?
And if you haven’t already, you can go to BlackAmericaWeb.com to see the holographic Tupac in concert performing with Snoop and Dr. Dre. We still have that clip running.
Okay. Check it out and let me know what you think. I’ll leave you with these melodic and – I think true– words from Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell:
“Ain’t nothin’ like the real thing baby… ain’t nothin’ like the real thing.”
Until next time, this is Stephanie in love and hope.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31