Summer is swiftly approaching and those with kids are embarking on that blessed curse known as summer vacation. Now for some parents out there it is a blessing because summer for some teenagers means summer job, which is great. But in this economy, there are fewer and fewer youth-focused jobs and activities. So I want to throw out a few things to think about for those of you that have yet to figure out how the summer months will play out.
The summer is a time for fun and rest, but can not be ignored as a time to ALSO strengthen and prepare your children for what they will facing next academic school year. So balance is key. I know many of you are stressed because you are on a super budget and resources are low. So an expensive, or for that matter, ANY summer camp is out of the question. Please know that what is more important than anything, regardless of your income, is preparation. Use this next week to think about the kind of experiences, recreation, knowledge, and preparation you want your child to have and soak up over the course of two and ½ to three months.
Do you want them to travel or to strengthen reading and math skills? Do you want them to learn a new language or take the art classes that the public school does not offer? Do you want them involved in athletics or spending time volunteering if a paid job or internship is unavailable? Realize that the summer can be whatever you plan to make it.
There are still a ton of free things to do. I will never forget the summer curriculum that my father forced me to engage in. The summer reading list that was accompanied by planned and impromptu book reports that would be written or verbal, depending on his mood, or if it was obvious to him that we had not read anything that day. And if you are interested in planning some academic learning for them try http://www.khanacademy.org. They have free instruction on everything from basic math to physics and history to microbiology. Have your kids visit the sight for an hour a day and I guarantee you will see a difference and give them something to do that prepares them for next year. There are other sites you can find if you want to do a foreign language or virtual travel. Just know that the web is mostly free and limitless.
Jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities are a must. Every young person has to be prepared to tackle this crazy work place. Even if you can’t find a paid spot, what you will learn working for free is a thousand times more powerful than sitting at home. And the relationships made will serve your child for a lifetime.
But summer should also be about getting out, seeing and experiencing things you normally don’t or can’t find the time to do. There are a ton of free arts and cultural festivals in the summer. Some of us may have to drive a few miles to get to them, but the cost is still minimum to get there and when you do, there is a small to no admission fee.
Some of you can afford camp. But make sure you check out not only the facilities and focus, but also the staff. Some camps will claim to provide your kids with something the staff does not have the capacity to provide. And try to strike a balance between stuff PLAY AUDIO
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31