Summer is swiftly approaching and those with kids are embarking on that blessed curse known as summer vacation. Now for some parents out there it is a blessing because summer for some teenagers means summer job, which is great. But in this economy, there are fewer and fewer youth-focused jobs and activities. So I want to throw out a few things to think about for those of you that have yet to figure out how the summer months will play out.
The summer is a time for fun and rest, but can not be ignored as a time to ALSO strengthen and prepare your children for what they will facing next academic school year. So balance is key. I know many of you are stressed because you are on a super budget and resources are low. So an expensive, or for that matter, ANY summer camp is out of the question. Please know that what is more important than anything, regardless of your income, is preparation. Use this next week to think about the kind of experiences, recreation, knowledge, and preparation you want your child to have and soak up over the course of two and ½ to three months.
Do you want them to travel or to strengthen reading and math skills? Do you want them to learn a new language or take the art classes that the public school does not offer? Do you want them involved in athletics or spending time volunteering if a paid job or internship is unavailable? Realize that the summer can be whatever you plan to make it.
There are still a ton of free things to do. I will never forget the summer curriculum that my father forced me to engage in. The summer reading list that was accompanied by planned and impromptu book reports that would be written or verbal, depending on his mood, or if it was obvious to him that we had not read anything that day. And if you are interested in planning some academic learning for them try http://www.khanacademy.org. They have free instruction on everything from basic math to physics and history to microbiology. Have your kids visit the sight for an hour a day and I guarantee you will see a difference and give them something to do that prepares them for next year. There are other sites you can find if you want to do a foreign language or virtual travel. Just know that the web is mostly free and limitless.
Jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities are a must. Every young person has to be prepared to tackle this crazy work place. Even if you can’t find a paid spot, what you will learn working for free is a thousand times more powerful than sitting at home. And the relationships made will serve your child for a lifetime.
But summer should also be about getting out, seeing and experiencing things you normally don’t or can’t find the time to do. There are a ton of free arts and cultural festivals in the summer. Some of us may have to drive a few miles to get to them, but the cost is still minimum to get there and when you do, there is a small to no admission fee.
Some of you can afford camp. But make sure you check out not only the facilities and focus, but also the staff. Some camps will claim to provide your kids with something the staff does not have the capacity to provide. And try to strike a balance between stuff
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30