It was too much to expect from a country as consumed by hostility and jugglery as ours, but a saner society would have had a different take on the Trayvon Martin tragedy.
The overwhelming sentiment of any civilization deserving of the name would be a profound sorrow and alarm over the sudden and unnecessary violent death of a teenage boy on a Sunday evening after a snack run to the convenience store.
One minute, the kid is strolling home; the next he becomes aware that he is being stalked; the next minute, he’s shot dead. What should his school activities, his social life, his clothing, his race have to do with anything? A boy is dead when he should be alive and the family and friends who loved him will never see him again. What’s not to mourn?
Yet, poll after poll tells us that in the eleventh year of the third millennium – when human beings are presumably more enlightened than ever – Americans have pulled apart on the foundational factor in the case: whether Trayvon’s killing was justifiable.
A Reuters/Ipsos poll released last week found that 91 percent of black Americans believe Trayvon was killed unjustly. Fifty-nine percent of Latinos and only 35 percent of whites felt that way.
There are other particulars imbedded in the great divide – gun control, the ridiculous “stand your ground” law that does not carry any obligation to retreat from an alleged threat, the charge brought against shooter George Zimmerman, the who-attacked-whom debate. These will play out, to varying degrees, as the case progresses. Reaching agreement on any of those is a far-fetched possibility, given that the country is so pathetically divided on whether or not Trayvon deserved to be shot.
Let’s ask this of the nine percent of black Americans, 41 percent of Latinos and 65 percent of whites who told the pollsters either that they think the shooting was justified or were not sure what to think: if you came upon someone you thought posed a danger, would you move toward them or away?
And if you moved toward them, might it be said that you were looking for a confrontation?
And since there is no duty to retreat under the ugly law in Florida (as well as 23 other states), if that “dangerous” person turned around and walloped you because he felt threatened by you, well isn’t that a good-for-the-goose-good-for-the-gander proposition?
If all goes well from here on out, a jury will decide whether a bubblegum cop with a glock or a teenager with candy beans was the real threat that fateful evening.
Pray that they are more civilized than their countrymen.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31