A variety of efforts, including seminars, workshops and free health screenings, are being launched around the country to recognize Minority Cancer Awareness Week (April 15-21), to encourage black Americans to become more proactive in preventing and fighting cancer.
Black Americans and other minorities are less likely to get the preventive care they need to stay healthy, more likely to suffer from serious illnesses, such as diabetes, heart disease and colon cancer, and less likely to have access to quality health care.
Health experts say that even if you feel perfectly healthy, regular health screenings are important to catch health issues before they become major problems.
For black Americans particularly, screenings to detect the early signs of cancer are critical to reduce mortality from the disease.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among black women, prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in black men, and colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer for both African American men and women. Many of these cancers are not detected because of either a lack of access or a reluctance to get screenings. In some instances, people don’t go to the doctor until they are in severe discomfort – when it is sometimes too late to stop or cure the disease.
Patients should consult their physicians to determine how often they should be screened for various cancers, and that frequency can vary based on age, family history and other factors, but the society does offer some general guidelines:
Breast Cancer: Even with the recommendation from a federal task force to the contrary, the American Cancer Society still urges women aged 40 and older to get an annual mammogram and annual clinical breast examination. Women at higher risk because of family history, genetic tendency, past breast cancer) should talk to their doctors about whether to start mammogram screenings before 40, having additional tests, such as breast ultrasound and MRI, or more frequent exams.
Colon Cancer: Men and women at average risk should begin screening at age 50. There are a range of tests that are recommended, including some that detect polyps before they turn cancerous. The frequency of the screening is based on the patient’s risk level, but those with average risk may be screened every five to 10 years, depending upon the doctor’s recommendation.
Prostate Cancer: A PSA blood test annually is recommended beginning at age 50. Men with a strong family history of prostate cancer – one or more immediate relatives have been diagnosed with the disease at an early age – should begin testing at age 45.
On the research front, the American Cancer Society announced it has awarded 12 national research grants totaling more than $8.5 million to support research aimed at achieving health equity. The grants are among 135 research and training grants totaling about $52 million in the first of two grant cycles for 2012.
During the past 10 years, the ACS said in a statement, it has dedicated a portion of its extramural research funding towards studies of cancer in poor and medically underserved populations.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31