A variety of efforts, including seminars, workshops and free health screenings, are being launched around the country to recognize Minority Cancer Awareness Week (April 15-21), to encourage black Americans to become more proactive in preventing and fighting cancer.
Black Americans and other minorities are less likely to get the preventive care they need to stay healthy, more likely to suffer from serious illnesses, such as diabetes, heart disease and colon cancer, and less likely to have access to quality health care.
Health experts say that even if you feel perfectly healthy, regular health screenings are important to catch health issues before they become major problems.
For black Americans particularly, screenings to detect the early signs of cancer are critical to reduce mortality from the disease.
Breast cancer is the most common cancer among black women, prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in black men, and colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer for both African American men and women. Many of these cancers are not detected because of either a lack of access or a reluctance to get screenings. In some instances, people don’t go to the doctor until they are in severe discomfort – when it is sometimes too late to stop or cure the disease.
Patients should consult their physicians to determine how often they should be screened for various cancers, and that frequency can vary based on age, family history and other factors, but the society does offer some general guidelines:
Breast Cancer: Even with the recommendation from a federal task force to the contrary, the American Cancer Society still urges women aged 40 and older to get an annual mammogram and annual clinical breast examination. Women at higher risk because of family history, genetic tendency, past breast cancer) should talk to their doctors about whether to start mammogram screenings before 40, having additional tests, such as breast ultrasound and MRI, or more frequent exams.
Colon Cancer: Men and women at average risk should begin screening at age 50. There are a range of tests that are recommended, including some that detect polyps before they turn cancerous. The frequency of the screening is based on the patient’s risk level, but those with average risk may be screened every five to 10 years, depending upon the doctor’s recommendation.
Prostate Cancer: A PSA blood test annually is recommended beginning at age 50. Men with a strong family history of prostate cancer – one or more immediate relatives have been diagnosed with the disease at an early age – should begin testing at age 45.
On the research front, the American Cancer Society announced it has awarded 12 national research grants totaling more than $8.5 million to support research aimed at achieving health equity. The grants are among 135 research and training grants totaling about $52 million in the first of two grant cycles for 2012.
During the past 10 years, the ACS said in a statement, it has dedicated a portion of its extramural research funding towards studies of cancer in poor and medically underserved populations.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30