The ABC reality show “The Bachelor” has been on TV for ten years and 16 seasons and in all that time, there has never been a black bachelor star of the show. Well, 28-year-old basketball coach and TV sports personality Lamar Hurd wants to change all that. The Houston, Texas native was encouraged by his assistant to campaign for Season 17 of the popular reality show. Now living in Oregon, Hurd fits the bill as he’s clean-cut, tall, handsome and fit and says he wouldn’t mind becoming America’s next top bachelor. Check out his video and if you agree, head over to ABC and vote for him to be casted.
Now this got us to thinking who else might make a great candidate for the first Black bachelor. We’ve compiled a list below. Let’s see if you agree with our choices.
The sexy 25-year-old wide receiver just won a Super Bowl ring with the New York Giants, but will be suiting up for the Chicago Bears this year. The tatted up Michigan native is 6’2 and is well known for his swexy, given the several photo shoots he’ s done in various stages of undress. With a body like his, clothing should be optional. Thomas might be a little rough-edged for the super clean-cut “Bachelor” image but after 16 seasons, isn’t it time to shake things up. We can just imagine the lengths that women of all races would go to for some alone time with this hunk. And it might not be pretty, but it will make great TV.
We know this busy actor probably has no time to be a “Bachelor,” but you never know. Already in contention to be the first black James Bond (if that ever happens) Idris could show his versatility by giving “The Bachelor” a more international flavor. The show has been filmed in Paris and in Rome, but never in London where Idris, of African ancestry, was born and raised. The 6’1 39-year-old is already well known to black audiences so here’s a chance to get him more exposure in the mainstream while giving the world a look at a sophisticated global Black man with an English accent. (Yes, his normal accent is a British one.) The array of international beauties that can compete for his attentions would be fascinating to watch. There’s virtually no chance that Elba would do it, but its fun to think about.
The “Jumping The Broom” star has already been a groom in a movie, so why not on TV? Alonso, 39, an Afro-Cuban by way of New York City, has been hustling in the business for a decade, going from a BET talk show host to starring in “Avatar,” one of Hollywood’s top grossing movies, to a network show. Recently killed off on A&E’s “Breakout Kings” he’ll be back for the NBC show “Notorious” with Meagan Good this fall. But hey, if that doesn’t work out, maybe ABC execs should give him a call.
OK, we know what you’re thinking. A guy whose repertoire is mostly about sex won’t make it to “The Bachelor.” But this might be a great chance to pull in a younger, hipper audience for the show. The 27-year-old Virginia native known for his lovemaking music could make “The Bachelor” appealing to a new generation and give Songz more mainstream momentum. And having a guy in-house who can really sing for his potential bachelorettes would be amazing. But…we know this one is just too far-fetched, unless BET or MTV does their own version of the show.
Baseball stars are rarely recognizable off the field which makes Rihanna’s ex, Matt Kemp, a great candidate to be the first black Bachelor. The 27-year-old baller is great-looking, tall, in fantastic shape and he’s rich, having just scored the richest contracts in L. A. Dodger history. This would be a great vehicle for him to achieve a mainstream profile, while he selects from group of motivated women vying for his ring (and $160 million contract.) The thing is, in 16 seasons, not one of the bachelors has ever gotten married to his choice, so it’s not like the show would take him permanently off the market anyway. We want Matt – and so will every woman in America if he becomes the first Black bachelor.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31