The ABC reality show “The Bachelor” has been on TV for ten years and 16 seasons and in all that time, there has never been a black bachelor star of the show. Well, 28-year-old basketball coach and TV sports personality Lamar Hurd wants to change all that. The Houston, Texas native was encouraged by his assistant to campaign for Season 17 of the popular reality show. Now living in Oregon, Hurd fits the bill as he’s clean-cut, tall, handsome and fit and says he wouldn’t mind becoming America’s next top bachelor. Check out his video and if you agree, head over to ABC and vote for him to be casted.
Now this got us to thinking who else might make a great candidate for the first Black bachelor. We’ve compiled a list below. Let’s see if you agree with our choices.
The sexy 25-year-old wide receiver just won a Super Bowl ring with the New York Giants, but will be suiting up for the Chicago Bears this year. The tatted up Michigan native is 6’2 and is well known for his swexy, given the several photo shoots he’ s done in various stages of undress. With a body like his, clothing should be optional. Thomas might be a little rough-edged for the super clean-cut “Bachelor” image but after 16 seasons, isn’t it time to shake things up. We can just imagine the lengths that women of all races would go to for some alone time with this hunk. And it might not be pretty, but it will make great TV.
We know this busy actor probably has no time to be a “Bachelor,” but you never know. Already in contention to be the first black James Bond (if that ever happens) Idris could show his versatility by giving “The Bachelor” a more international flavor. The show has been filmed in Paris and in Rome, but never in London where Idris, of African ancestry, was born and raised. The 6’1 39-year-old is already well known to black audiences so here’s a chance to get him more exposure in the mainstream while giving the world a look at a sophisticated global Black man with an English accent. (Yes, his normal accent is a British one.) The array of international beauties that can compete for his attentions would be fascinating to watch. There’s virtually no chance that Elba would do it, but its fun to think about.
The “Jumping The Broom” star has already been a groom in a movie, so why not on TV? Alonso, 39, an Afro-Cuban by way of New York City, has been hustling in the business for a decade, going from a BET talk show host to starring in “Avatar,” one of Hollywood’s top grossing movies, to a network show. Recently killed off on A&E’s “Breakout Kings” he’ll be back for the NBC show “Notorious” with Meagan Good this fall. But hey, if that doesn’t work out, maybe ABC execs should give him a call.
OK, we know what you’re thinking. A guy whose repertoire is mostly about sex won’t make it to “The Bachelor.” But this might be a great chance to pull in a younger, hipper audience for the show. The 27-year-old Virginia native known for his lovemaking music could make “The Bachelor” appealing to a new generation and give Songz more mainstream momentum. And having a guy in-house who can really sing for his potential bachelorettes would be amazing. But…we know this one is just too far-fetched, unless BET or MTV does their own version of the show.
Baseball stars are rarely recognizable off the field which makes Rihanna’s ex, Matt Kemp, a great candidate to be the first black Bachelor. The 27-year-old baller is great-looking, tall, in fantastic shape and he’s rich, having just scored the richest contracts in L. A. Dodger history. This would be a great vehicle for him to achieve a mainstream profile, while he selects from group of motivated women vying for his ring (and $160 million contract.) The thing is, in 16 seasons, not one of the bachelors has ever gotten married to his choice, so it’s not like the show would take him permanently off the market anyway. We want Matt – and so will every woman in America if he becomes the first Black bachelor.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30