As people across the country continue calling for justice in the death of an unarmed Florida teen, residents in the Alabama town of Headland will march in a call for justice for an unarmed man who was killed there by police in January.
Patrick Humphrey, 33, was shot by police, after his mother called emergency crews to help restrain him. Humphries was known to have mental disorders and to become resistant if there were problems with his medication, friends and family members say.
“His mother called 911 to get help with her son. She did not call for anyone to come and kill her son,” said the Rev. Kenny Glasgow, a pastor in Dothan, and the brother of Rev. Al Sharpton. “Patrick Humphrey did not have to die.”
Officers involved in the shooting have been placed on administrative leave with pay as the Alabama Bureau of Investigation investigates the case, in the small southeast Alabama city.
Police have said Humphrey assaulted two emergency medical technicians and a police officer. When another officer arrived, Humphrey attacked the second officer who retreated, then fired his weapon at Humphrey, according to an article published in the Dothan Eagle.
Family members say they don’t know why police fired upon Humphrey this time. “They knew what they were dealing with when they came,” said Kesha Nix, Humphrey’s sister. “It’s like they just pulled and fired,” she told BlackAmericaweb.com.
Glasgow expects 500 to 1,000 people to participate in the march that will start at noon at Humphrey’s family home on Hollon Street in Headland and end at the Headland City Square.
Glasgow and supporters of his organization, The Ordinary People Society, are advocating several changes in Alabama that he hopes will bring an end to police shooting people with mental challenges.
“We’re calling on the Alabama Legislature to make changes in the law so that no family in this state has to suffer the tragedy that Patrick Humphrey’s family has suffered,” Glasgow told BlackAmericaweb.com.
One of the problems in the small town and in many rural and urban cities is that police do not have enough training to handle citizens with mental disorders, said Nix.
“When the police came, they didn’t try to use any other method for restraining him or stopping him,” she said. “They need to have more training, especially when it comes to the possibly using deadly force.”
Alabama is about to close at least four mental health facilities and many of the people who live in the facilities will find dwellings in the communities.
“What’s going to happen when there are more people with mental challenges going back to the community and the police are not trained properly to work with them?” Glasgow said. “This is a public health and public safety issue.”
He is also calling for records on background of law enforcement officers to be more accessible to the public.
“If they have had problems in the past, we need to know it,” he said. “Some of the officers involved with the shooting of Patrick Humphrey had other incidents in their records,” he said. “We must have standards in this state. We pay law enforcement officers to protect and serve us.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31