Mary Mary may be gospel stars, but don’t think they have perfect lives. That’s the basis of their brand new reality show “Mary Mary” on WeTV.
Let’s start with their parents – who’ve been married and divorced from each other three times. Erica and Tina Campbell (both married unrelated musicians with the same last name) have been a Grammy-winning duo for 12 years, releasing their debut “Thankful” in 2000. Its hit single “Praise You (Shackles) earned them mainstream airplay and the duo quickly became gospel superstars. The multiple Dove, Stellar and Grammy award winners have seven siblings and seven children between them, so you can figure there’s a lot of material to work from. If you thought gospel artists led completely drama-free lives, well, this is the show for you, once you get over the shock of seeing the usually impeccably made-up and super-groomed duo in casual clothes and with no makeup on.
“I think people have a misconception of what a Christian is,” Tina told Yahoo.com. “I don’t know, some think we buy Christian soap, or go to like Christian restaurants. Everybody thinks we’re so spiritual, but that’s not the case. We’re gospel artists, but we make mistakes. We’re normal people who praise God and everybody will get to see that on the show.”
The 10-episode show that airs Thursdays at 9 p.m. on WeTV precedes the May release of their seventh CD, “Go Get It.” Like most reality stars who have another career, they hope the increased exposure carries over to record sales and opportunities for themselves and for other gospel artists.
“Maybe we can be a breakthrough for other gospel artists who want a reality show too,” Tina told Yahoo.com. “For us, our whole goal is to reach people. We just don’t want to sing in a church. We want to sing to everybody. We want to have an impact on people in so many different ways.”
Despite the family business that they air on TV, don’t expect the kind of infidelity, sexual innuendo, and knockdown, drag-out fights that characterize some other reality shows. Mary Mary may be admittedly imperfect in their walk, but they’re still Christian. They have faced their share of criticism over the years for music deemed “too secular” by the gospel community – most notably with their hit single “God in Me” which featured Kanye West and then-girlfriend Amber Rose in the video. Mary Mary’s reality show might ruffle conservative Christians who find the whole concept of a reality TV show “too worldly.”
But so far, after one episode, the feedback is good. Blogs and tweets from fans that appear to be part of their Christian fanbase have had nothing but praise for the show thus far. Here’s what blogger Ronnie Tyler of Blackandmarriedwithkids.com had to say after watching the first show:
“Why did I like the show so much? It showed two women on their grind. Not content to simply meet up with other “friends” and have dinner with a side of insults. Neither sister was trying to outshine the others, they kept reminding each other that teamwork was the name of the game and that whatever they were trying to do, they had to both be on board.”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25