After more than 30 years of restless waiting and a $29 million renovation project, the illustrious Howard Theatre is back in action.
Monday, the streets of D.C. experienced an outpouring of laughter, cheers, and jubilation as people crowded to watch the ribbon cutting to reopen the historical landmark.
Supporters including comedian/activist Dick Gregory to Mayor Vincent Gray made appearances to welcome the Howard Theatre back.
“As somebody who grew up in this city and who went to school in this city, it is absolutely wonderful to see what is taking place right now. It didn’t matter what school you went to. It didn’t matter if you went to McKinley, Cardozo, or Dunbar because everybody came to the Howard Theatre,” Gray said.
Hundreds of supportive admirers came out to show their appreciation to the Ellis Development Group for restoring and renovating the 102-year-old building, which was forced to shut down in 1980. The development company saved the 1910 building façade while rebuilding took place.
“We truly wanted to make sure that we celebrated and used the dollars of the city wisely. There were over 156 jobs for construction…and created over 85 permanent jobs through the recreation of the Theatre,” said company representative Malik Ellis.
People from all generations stood outside the theater at T Street and Georgia Avenue NW, dancing and clapping to the music of James Brown, the Temptations, Billie Holiday, and Etta James.
Since 1910, the Howard Theatre had given black entertainers such as Marvin Gaye, James Brown, and Duke Ellington a venue to showcase their talents during segregation.
Back then, the Theatre wasn’t just a venue for entertainment but also for expression, pride, and black aspirations.
D.C. natives described the feeling of the Howard Theatre as magical and resilient.
“Coming to this theatre made me feel like a queen almost. The feeling I would get when entering through the doors was unimaginable. Being that close to entertainers such as the Temptations gave me a feeling of fulfillment. Singing songs like “I’m Black and I’m Proud” with James Brown from the audience provided a peek for younger generations to put themselves back in the time of segregation of the civil rights movement. This was the home to all the black music. This was my home,” said D.C. native BettyAnn Bullard.
Legendary King Raymond Green from The Clovers said that the experience of the Howard Theatre for any black artist was the best feeling in the world.
“If you were anybody in entertainment and black you came here. This is what they called “Party City Central” back in the day. Anybody you could think of from Redd Foxx to Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, the Miracles, and all of the Motown acts came to this area and performed. So to see this being renovated and brought to its original form is a blessing. I’m so glad that somebody finally got the idea to bring this theater back because this is apart of our heritage that should have never been taken away,” Green said.
Groups like The Velons, an old-school doo-wop group, encouraged the future generation to take hold of the Howard Theatre and show that the legend still lives on.
“If it ever gets any better than it used to be, its going to be fantastic. It was unbelievable then and will without a shadow of a doubt I’m sure it will be again! If the generation to come has any problems bringing the liveliness and joy out of this theatre, we will definitely come back and help you out,” said Jimmie Falwell, a Velon Group member.
Two Velons’ hits from 1968, “Why Don’t You Write?” – a song dedicated to soldiers serving in Vietnam – and “That’s What Love Can Do,” both on the BJM label, are now collectors’ items on the oldies circuit.
Wale, Loud Pac, and Tabi Bonney were scheduled to perform Monday night. A grand opening gala concert will be held Thursday to honor the past, present, and future of the Howard Theatre with performances by Smokey Robinson, Wanda Sykes and appearances by Motown Records founder Berry Gordy.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31