Men of the cloth all over the U.S. sacrifice each day for their congregations, putting in thousands of hours of personal time mentoring the young, praying for the sick and caring for the less fortunate.
Last winter, Chicago pastor Rev. Cory Brooks of New Beginnings church took his commitment to his church to the next level. For more than 90 days, Brooks camped out on the rooftop of a motel to call attention to his desire to build a community center on the site. His efforts attracted the attention of people from all over the world. He has a contract to buy the motel for $450,000 to turn it into a center, and he received hundreds of thousands of dollars in donations.
On Friday, February 24, the reverend’s prayers were answered. As part of a promotion for the movie “Good Deeds,” Tyler Perry donated the Harley-Davidson motorcycle his character, Wesley Deeds, drives in the film to a church looking to raise money or use it for a particular service to the community. But when Perry found out that Brooks was just $98,000 short of his goal, he offered to make up the difference.
Reverend Brooks recently received the Harley and tweeted a picture of it (pictured above).
Brooks was overwhelmed at the gesture, he said on “The Tom Joyner Morning Show” crew that morning.
“I’ve gotten a thousand phone calls and emails and tweets, and I am going crazy, and this is exceedingly abundantly above what I could have ever asked for. I’ve always wanted to meet Tyler Perry, and two, I’ve always wanted a Harley-Davidson, and I always wanted to be on ‘The Tom Joyner Morning Show,'” Brooks said on the show. “I am so excited. This is remarkable. This is crazy. I’ve been up here 94 days bringing awareness and attention to the gun violence in our neighborhood. I did 10 funerals last year for young black males under the age of 25.”
“What you’re doing,” Perry told Pastor Brooks, “and your dedication to the community and young people there really inspired me. Just hearing the story, that moved me. So, God bless you,”
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25