I just read that as of Feb. 14th, people who itemize deductions on their tax returns are able to file them for 2010. I lost my job this year so I want to be really careful to make sure I don’t pay more taxes than I have to. Do you have any tips? MICHELLE, Chicago, IL
This is a great question that applies to a lot of people. In fact, 46 million people use itemized deductions, and they claim about $1 trillion. Roughly double use standard deductions, and they claim another $700 billion. With over 70,000 pages in the tax-code, it’s easy to get lost! However, it is important to pay attention because you can save a lot of money if you take the deductions you are entitled to.
Let’s start with the fact that Michelle said she lost her job this year. Michelle is certainly not alone. In fact, roughly 10 pwrcent of Americans were out of work in 2010. What most people don’t know is that you can deduct your job-hunting expenses, assuming your total miscellaneous itemized deductions are greater than 2 percent of your adjusted gross income. These expenses include everything from the cost of printing resumes to the cost of getting to and from interviews. The catch is that you must be looking for a job in the same field, and it cannot be your first job.
What about the people who were looking for their first job? Are they out of luck?
No, they aren’t. While they can’t get the deduction I just mentioned, there is another deduction that they shouldn’t miss. If you graduated in 2010 and moved somewhere to start your first job, you can get a deduction for that. If you moved at least 50 miles for your job, you can deduct your moving expenses. Moving expenses include many of the costs you paid out of pocket to move your household. For example, you can deduct the cost of renting a moving truck, highway tolls or parking costs you paid during the drive, and even 16.5 cents for every mile you drove. This is not a bad savings when you’re just starting out. Just don’t try and claim any speeding tickets!
So, there are deductions for people looking for jobs and deductions for people moving for jobs. What about people who are in school? Is there a tax deduction for that?
Yes, there is. However, it is a tax credit instead of a tax deduction. Let me first explain the difference between a deduction and a credit.
A tax credit actually reduces the amount of taxes you owe the government, dollar for dollar. A tax deduction decreases your taxable income. So, with a $1,000 credit, you will actually pay $1,000 less in taxes. However, with a deduction, if you pay 25 percent in taxes, a $1,000 deduction would shave $250 off your tax bill. It is also important to remember you can claim a tax credit even if you don’t itemize your deductions.
So, now that I’ve explained the difference between a tax deduction and a tax credit, it should make more sense when I say if you were a student in 2010, you should NOT miss this credit. It is called the American Opportunity Credit, and it allows up to $2,500 of college tuition and related expenses to be taken as a tax credit. You can claim this credit for all four years of school. Take advantage of this credit while you still can because it is set to expire in 2012.
Are there any other credits people often overlook that you want to mention?
I’m glad you
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31