Nothing sets our priorities straight like a tragedy.
The day before yesterday, when I was contemplating topics for this blog, high on my list was a discussion about whether the word “Negro” was demeaning, and who, if anyone, should be able to use the term. Then the news of the earthquake in Haiti hit, and I started to see all the devastation, destruction and death suffered by our brothers and sisters. And little else mattered.
Like most people, my first emotions were sadness and helplessness. But those emotions quickly shifted to an almost unstoppable drive to do something now. But what and how? I was tired of hearing about all the things that couldn’t be done and surrounded myself with my team of producers and engineers, and we put our heads together to figure out what we COULD do.
I’m planning on leaving late tonight to go to Haiti and broadcast the show from the streets. My purpose is to set up an Internet cafe so that Haitians can get in touch with their families. And trust me, as we approach the King holiday weekend and as I prepare for the MSNBC town hall meeting that will air on the King holiday on Monday, the earthquake in Haiti will not take a back seat. The victims of this crisis and their families all over the world, but specifically in Miami and other U.S. cities, are expecting something from our country and particularly from black America. And they should.
If we can use Hurricane Katrina as a template, we learned that we cannot sit back and wait for anyone to do for us what we can and must do for ourselves. Not taking our government off the hook or even criticizing the current administration for what it is and isn’t able or willing do. My point is I’m not even waiting for that, and you shouldn’t either. The 70s hit by Atlantic Starr says, “When love calls, you better answer.” That call can come in all kinds of forms, and yesterday it was Haiti on the line. Wyclef Jean answered the call immediately, and we are right behind him.
The Monday TV special is cool, and I’m very proud to be part of it. But I’d rather walk the walk than talk the talk. In a nutshell, I was going to spend about two hours saying in all different kinds of ways how much and why I love and support black people. I was going to talk about race and racism and how it shows up in ways a lot of people who aren’t victims of it aren’t even aware of. Haiti was in a state of crisis long before that massive earthquake hit. Anyone who thinks that their suffering and lack of support for their plight isn’t compounded by the fact they are black is crazy. All you have to do is compare their treatment versus the treatment of Cubans when they arrive here to try to make better lives for themselves and their families. Heck ,compare it to a whale that washes up on the beach in Miami.
Rev. Al Sharpton pointed out this morning that a lot of mainstream media chose not the earthquake but the late night talk show war between Jay Leno and Conan O’Brian as their lead stories yesterday. So the earthquake in Haiti adds fuel to the discussion of racism, yet sadly – like most of what we will be talking about – it will not bring us any closer to solving the issue. But we’ll keep talking about it, and I’ll keep asking you to send your questions and comments.
In the meantime, I will also be asking you to help us support the fundraising efforts for the Haitian victims because we are and will continue to be advocates for black people and answer when love calls. Whenever, wherever.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30