Nothing sets our priorities straight like a tragedy.
The day before yesterday, when I was contemplating topics for this blog, high on my list was a discussion about whether the word “Negro” was demeaning, and who, if anyone, should be able to use the term. Then the news of the earthquake in Haiti hit, and I started to see all the devastation, destruction and death suffered by our brothers and sisters. And little else mattered.
Like most people, my first emotions were sadness and helplessness. But those emotions quickly shifted to an almost unstoppable drive to do something now. But what and how? I was tired of hearing about all the things that couldn’t be done and surrounded myself with my team of producers and engineers, and we put our heads together to figure out what we COULD do.
I’m planning on leaving late tonight to go to Haiti and broadcast the show from the streets. My purpose is to set up an Internet cafe so that Haitians can get in touch with their families. And trust me, as we approach the King holiday weekend and as I prepare for the MSNBC town hall meeting that will air on the King holiday on Monday, the earthquake in Haiti will not take a back seat. The victims of this crisis and their families all over the world, but specifically in Miami and other U.S. cities, are expecting something from our country and particularly from black America. And they should.
If we can use Hurricane Katrina as a template, we learned that we cannot sit back and wait for anyone to do for us what we can and must do for ourselves. Not taking our government off the hook or even criticizing the current administration for what it is and isn’t able or willing do. My point is I’m not even waiting for that, and you shouldn’t either. The 70s hit by Atlantic Starr says, “When love calls, you better answer.” That call can come in all kinds of forms, and yesterday it was Haiti on the line. Wyclef Jean answered the call immediately, and we are right behind him.
The Monday TV special is cool, and I’m very proud to be part of it. But I’d rather walk the walk than talk the talk. In a nutshell, I was going to spend about two hours saying in all different kinds of ways how much and why I love and support black people. I was going to talk about race and racism and how it shows up in ways a lot of people who aren’t victims of it aren’t even aware of. Haiti was in a state of crisis long before that massive earthquake hit. Anyone who thinks that their suffering and lack of support for their plight isn’t compounded by the fact they are black is crazy. All you have to do is compare their treatment versus the treatment of Cubans when they arrive here to try to make better lives for themselves and their families. Heck ,compare it to a whale that washes up on the beach in Miami.
Rev. Al Sharpton pointed out this morning that a lot of mainstream media chose not the earthquake but the late night talk show war between Jay Leno and Conan O’Brian as their lead stories yesterday. So the earthquake in Haiti adds fuel to the discussion of racism, yet sadly – like most of what we will be talking about – it will not bring us any closer to solving the issue. But we’ll keep talking about it, and I’ll keep asking you to send your questions and comments.
In the meantime, I will also be asking you to help us support the fundraising efforts for the Haitian victims because we are and will continue to be advocates for black people and answer when love calls. Whenever, wherever.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31