Bo Griffin was a bad, bold, beautiful personality whose radio name was Bo, the Animal.
And she pulled it off. Bo was attractive, confident and went after what she wanted. She survived the ups and downs of this crazy business by being smart and savvy enough to re-invent herself and remain a player through several years.
The day before yesterday, I heard that she died. I was shocked. When people are smart and talented and vibrant, you’re never ready to hear news like that. Bo was just 51 years old.
The word is she recently – just a few weeks ago – found out she had cancer, and almost suddenly, it took her life.
Bo’s death got me thinking about two of my favorite holidays: Valentine’s Day and Take a Loved One to the Doctor Day. This year, I didn’t write a Valentine’s Day blog. I meant to, but I was too busy making plans and celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary. After getting the news of Bo’s death, it reminded me that the best and most romantic thing you can do for your mate, your family or anyone close to you is to get as healthy as you possibly can. And that led me to think about Dr. Day, because it is a time that celebrates the very sentiment of being proactive about your health and the health of those you care about most.
When we talked off the air about Bo’s illness, we all wondered how something as serious as intestinal cancer could appear suddenly and cause death at such an unbelievably fast pace. Shouldn’t she have had symptoms that would have sent her to the doctor sooner? I think it’s human nature to hope, in some way, that there’s a reason – or even blame – when someone dies. If we can figure out what the person did wrong, we think we can avoid that mistake and keep bad fortune away.
Of course, it doesn’t always work out that way. All of us know someone who did all the right things and was still stricken with some kind of illness. Shiggity happens.
But that shouldn’t stop us from doing everything we can do to at least reduce the odds of bad things happening in areas that we can control. For instance, we know that early detection is the best way of preventing diseases. We can’t say this enough, yet still, as our in-house physician, Dr. Sampson Davis, says, too many wait until it’s time to visit the ER, but by then, for a lot of conditions, it’s too late.
The only thing better than catching stuff early is preventing it from happening in the first place. Prevention begins before birth with good pre-natal care; it continues through infancy with good nutrition, including breast milk (check out the heated discussion we had about that yesterday on “If You Missed It”) and on through childhood and puberty with the right balance of healthy foods and exercise. First Lady Michele Obama’s initiative to battle childhood obesity includes a series of ways parents, schools, food manufacturers and the government can step up to ensure that our kids end up with fewer ailments that are related to being overweight or obese.
And, as much as I loved Bo and as saddened as I am by her death, I can’t help but point out that the extra weight she carried – while she carried it well – couldn’t have helped either. Again, back to the studies, it’s been proven that many illnesses, including some types of cancers, are linked to obesity or even merely being overweight. As a soldier of food, I know it’s tough, but that can’t keep us from fighting the battle. Especially since we know it can save our lives. I don’t care how fine you are, if it’s working against you internally, it really isn’t fine at all.
I’m just a D.J., but I do know that you also need to stop smoking and stay hydrated if you want to get a handle on getting and staying healthy. And add at least one serving of vegetables a day – the green leafy kind, not fries.
In the meantime, let’s continue to love ourselves, look out for each other and help those we love become more accountable for their health. Let my friend Bo’s death be a reminder that it’s time for you or someone you love to make an appointment to see a doctor. Today.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30