Few things are more comforting than being welcomed back to a loving home. Whether you’ve been away at school, in the military, on the road working or just spent too many hours past your curfew, it feels good to know that you were missed, and nobody’s mad at you. You may have not made the best grades, you might have not written home enough, you may have missed paying a couple of bills, and you may have gone too long without calling – but sometimes, when you get home, people who love you can look past all that, at least for a while, and just appreciate your complete “body of work.”
This morning, you’ll hear a conversation we recorded with Barack Obama, the president of the United States, yesterday. Like other family members we know (and have been ourselves), the president was loved, supported and pushed to reach higher heights, to go as far as he could go. He’s in a tight spot though now, and to be honest, I think he’s gone too long without checking in on the family – his base, the black folks who got him elected. But still, I welcomed him with open arms.
That doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t hold him accountable for keeping the promises he made to black America. He says he has – with the health care reform bill, a plan to build a new foundation for economic growth in the African-American community, financial regulatory reform to help keep big banks from taking advantage of people and with education reform. He says proposals he made this week will put people to work physically rebuilding America’s roads and bridges.
I believe him, and I trust him. What would be the point of working as hard as we all did to put the president in office, only to second-guess him and not give him room to work his plan?
On the night of the election, I was a witness, just a few yards away in Grant Park in Chicago, where he made his speech and said something I’d never heard a president say before. He said he wouldn’t be able to turn things around in one term. He didn’t kid himself or us. He told us it would take lots of work, lots of blood, lots of sweat and lots of tears. And we all yelled, and clapped and cheered. But now it’s time for the hardest part.
The honeymoon is over. The parties have stopped. The sexy is gone. At the rate things are going, if things continue as they stand today, there may not be a second term for this president. And if we don’t like this scenario, we can’t wait any longer to support him. It starts with the all-important mid-term elections. President Obama’s name won’t be on any of those ballots, but we have to go out and support Democrats the way we supported him when we were all hyped up about the prospect of electing the first African-American president.
It’s hard to do. I know. It’s my job to keep everyone motivated to go out and vote in every election, and I fall short. Like you, I have a lot of things to do that have nothing to do with local or statewide politics. I’m not up on all the issues, and a lot of them I’m not even interested in. But, also like you, I’ve got to dig deep and sacrifice and keep reminding myself of the bigger picture – and the greater good.
I want this president to succeed because of the pride and historic significance of who he is, for one, secondly, as you will hear in the interview, he’s still the coolest, but also because I believe he will do what’s best for this country and black America. He wants for his two daughters the same as I want for my granddaughter and grandchildren to come: Peace, prosperity and uncontaminated food! Listen carefully to his message today as he speaks directly to black America.
Let’s dig deep and make a commitment to – at the very least – do what we can to give the man we elected a chance to finish what he’s started. I have the audacity to hope and believe we can make it happen. Again.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30