Today is the anniversary of one of the biggest days in American history and probably THE biggest day in African-American history. African-Americans played a major role in electing the first black president of the United States, and proved that when united behind a common cause, we can make remarkable things happen.
The down side is that when we don’t unite, when we’re apathetic or wait around for others to do what we would should be doing, dismal things can and do happen.
Days, months, even years before the election, all eyes were on us – and we made each other proud. We mobilized. We galvanized. We even prophesied. We were beautiful. By the night of Election Day a year ago, we saw the fruits of our labor. We celebrated, we cried. And we celebrated some more.
Now, it’s time to go back to work. Elections are being held all over the country today, the first Tuesday of November. And, since I know you’re registered to vote already, you – not you; we – need to make sure we’re going to participate.
When you’re in the battle to lose weight, which most of us know a little something about, we’re most successful when we make a decision to change our habits and our lifestyles for the long-term. Nutritionists don’t like to use the word diet, because that implies a temporary eating program. A lot of times, we diet to achieve one specific goal – to get fine for the summer, to get extra fine for a wedding that an ex will be attending, to go to a class reunion to give the haters something to talk about, etc. The problem is, in most cases, once we make it to these appointed events, we’re done, and we go back to our old ways of doing things, usually with very negative results. The best, healthiest, most effective programs include examining the kinds of things were doing wrong and trying to make changes in the way we live.
If you registered to vote so you could take part in last year’s historic election, you did some good, but what you did will matter more and be more meaningful if you made a decision to continue along the right path. If you’ve changed your voting lifestyle or enhanced it, you will be at somebody’s polling place today. Because you realize – like my man, Ken Smuckler, said on the air this morning and as Roland Martin has been saying for weeks – the presidential election isn’t the only important election. Every election is important, and some of the ones that don’t sound as sexy are actually the ones that will have the most impact on our lives – especially black folks.
We love our president, but he is not able to spend much time worrying about our individual schools and neighborhoods. That’s a job for our local elected officials. There are plenty of those races today. Take more interest in your city and state government. I know you can do it. Many of us became experts on the electoral process when Barack Obama became a candidate. If we learned half as much about local, county and state elections, we would be so much better off.
I’m not preaching to you. When I say we, I mean we. I’ve got my hand up, too.
We have inherited the gift of being able to vote freely, and we should use that gift every chance we get. Atlanta, New Jersey, Virginia, Maine, Texas, California and any place I’ve missed, let’s get motivated, fired up and ready to go. This time, there probably won’t be long lines. You won’t have trouble parking. There will be no crowds to fight. You will just be able walk right up there, and do the right thing. You’ll be forming good habits that you can pass on to your family. And instead of talking about it, you’ll be making a difference, for real.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30