Today is the anniversary of one of the biggest days in American history and probably THE biggest day in African-American history. African-Americans played a major role in electing the first black president of the United States, and proved that when united behind a common cause, we can make remarkable things happen.
The down side is that when we don’t unite, when we’re apathetic or wait around for others to do what we would should be doing, dismal things can and do happen.
Days, months, even years before the election, all eyes were on us – and we made each other proud. We mobilized. We galvanized. We even prophesied. We were beautiful. By the night of Election Day a year ago, we saw the fruits of our labor. We celebrated, we cried. And we celebrated some more.
Now, it’s time to go back to work. Elections are being held all over the country today, the first Tuesday of November. And, since I know you’re registered to vote already, you – not you; we – need to make sure we’re going to participate.
When you’re in the battle to lose weight, which most of us know a little something about, we’re most successful when we make a decision to change our habits and our lifestyles for the long-term. Nutritionists don’t like to use the word diet, because that implies a temporary eating program. A lot of times, we diet to achieve one specific goal – to get fine for the summer, to get extra fine for a wedding that an ex will be attending, to go to a class reunion to give the haters something to talk about, etc. The problem is, in most cases, once we make it to these appointed events, we’re done, and we go back to our old ways of doing things, usually with very negative results. The best, healthiest, most effective programs include examining the kinds of things were doing wrong and trying to make changes in the way we live.
If you registered to vote so you could take part in last year’s historic election, you did some good, but what you did will matter more and be more meaningful if you made a decision to continue along the right path. If you’ve changed your voting lifestyle or enhanced it, you will be at somebody’s polling place today. Because you realize – like my man, Ken Smuckler, said on the air this morning and as Roland Martin has been saying for weeks – the presidential election isn’t the only important election. Every election is important, and some of the ones that don’t sound as sexy are actually the ones that will have the most impact on our lives – especially black folks.
We love our president, but he is not able to spend much time worrying about our individual schools and neighborhoods. That’s a job for our local elected officials. There are plenty of those races today. Take more interest in your city and state government. I know you can do it. Many of us became experts on the electoral process when Barack Obama became a candidate. If we learned half as much about local, county and state elections, we would be so much better off.
I’m not preaching to you. When I say we, I mean we. I’ve got my hand up, too.
We have inherited the gift of being able to vote freely, and we should use that gift every chance we get. Atlanta, New Jersey, Virginia, Maine, Texas, California and any place I’ve missed, let’s get motivated, fired up and ready to go. This time, there probably won’t be long lines. You won’t have trouble parking. There will be no crowds to fight. You will just be able walk right up there, and do the right thing. You’ll be forming good habits that you can pass on to your family. And instead of talking about it, you’ll be making a difference, for real.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31