Every once in a while, we get a phone call from a listener accusing us of doing more harm than good. Yesterday, one brother said that we spend too much time joking and too little time informing our audience about things that are important. Normally, we ask such disgruntled callers if anything we said made them laugh; they usually answer yes, and it ends on a happy note. But this guy wasn’t having it. He felt that with all black folks have gone through and are still going through, there’s no time for funny.
I didn’t let him ruin my day because there’s a method to our madness.
I think humor gets people’s attention enough so we can slide in some serious topics and have a fun and balanced show every morning. And the interview Jacque Reid did with Mildred Muhammad, the ex-wife of the D.C. sniper, was confirmation of that. (If you didn’t hear it, check it out in “If You Missed It.”)
In the midst of Muhammad telling us her harrowing story of how her former husband first targeted her for death and how she and her three children lived in fear of being killed, she said that our morning show was one of the few bright spots in her life. She said she listened to the show five times a week from 6 to 10 a.m. because she knew, for sure, it would put a smile on her face.
That blew me away.
Just knowing that what we do every morning had such an impact on this woman and her family makes me feel even better about doing something that I already love – and makes me want to keep doing it. It also makes me appreciate my crew, Sybil and J. and all the people you don’t see who help put the show together every morning.
We have all become obsessed with finding the humor in almost every situation, and sometimes even we cross the line. If you could hear what’s said during the commercials, either you’d laugh along with us or begin sending prayers up immediately, depending on the topic. I think when you’re surrounded by so much news – most of it bad – it’s only natural to put a humorous spin on it or we’d be depressed most of the time.
So, I’m hoping that the president and Mrs. Obama, Ron Isley, Michael Irvin, Mo’Nique, Usher’s ex-wife, Tameka, and even the woman who got clowned after asking for tickets to the Magic City Classic yesterday morning understand how and why they find themselves being the brunt of our jokes. We dish it out, but we take it too – from each other, from the audience and from our behind the scenes crew. They can be the worst of all! But the bottom line is, if it gets a big laugh, it’s fair game. We let our funny flags fly every morning. Unashamedly.
You may not be an environment where you can joke so freely, and I suggest you gauge what’s okay and what isn’t before you fire off some funnies at work or at home. But more importantly than spreading laughs is spreading joy. The bigger point made by Miss Mildred Muhammad was that we never know how what we may say or do is making a positive difference in someone else’s life. You may think the big things you do are making the biggest impact when a wink, a smile, a hug or a joke could make someone’s day. And guess what? The person who makes your day or your season may never know it unless you tell them.
So, if someone has done something for you and you haven’t thanked them or let them know, this would be a good time to do it. I’m here to tell you it will make their day.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30