Every once in a while, we get a phone call from a listener accusing us of doing more harm than good. Yesterday, one brother said that we spend too much time joking and too little time informing our audience about things that are important. Normally, we ask such disgruntled callers if anything we said made them laugh; they usually answer yes, and it ends on a happy note. But this guy wasn’t having it. He felt that with all black folks have gone through and are still going through, there’s no time for funny.
I didn’t let him ruin my day because there’s a method to our madness.
I think humor gets people’s attention enough so we can slide in some serious topics and have a fun and balanced show every morning. And the interview Jacque Reid did with Mildred Muhammad, the ex-wife of the D.C. sniper, was confirmation of that. (If you didn’t hear it, check it out in “If You Missed It.”)
In the midst of Muhammad telling us her harrowing story of how her former husband first targeted her for death and how she and her three children lived in fear of being killed, she said that our morning show was one of the few bright spots in her life. She said she listened to the show five times a week from 6 to 10 a.m. because she knew, for sure, it would put a smile on her face.
That blew me away.
Just knowing that what we do every morning had such an impact on this woman and her family makes me feel even better about doing something that I already love – and makes me want to keep doing it. It also makes me appreciate my crew, Sybil and J. and all the people you don’t see who help put the show together every morning.
We have all become obsessed with finding the humor in almost every situation, and sometimes even we cross the line. If you could hear what’s said during the commercials, either you’d laugh along with us or begin sending prayers up immediately, depending on the topic. I think when you’re surrounded by so much news – most of it bad – it’s only natural to put a humorous spin on it or we’d be depressed most of the time.
So, I’m hoping that the president and Mrs. Obama, Ron Isley, Michael Irvin, Mo’Nique, Usher’s ex-wife, Tameka, and even the woman who got clowned after asking for tickets to the Magic City Classic yesterday morning understand how and why they find themselves being the brunt of our jokes. We dish it out, but we take it too – from each other, from the audience and from our behind the scenes crew. They can be the worst of all! But the bottom line is, if it gets a big laugh, it’s fair game. We let our funny flags fly every morning. Unashamedly.
You may not be an environment where you can joke so freely, and I suggest you gauge what’s okay and what isn’t before you fire off some funnies at work or at home. But more importantly than spreading laughs is spreading joy. The bigger point made by Miss Mildred Muhammad was that we never know how what we may say or do is making a positive difference in someone else’s life. You may think the big things you do are making the biggest impact when a wink, a smile, a hug or a joke could make someone’s day. And guess what? The person who makes your day or your season may never know it unless you tell them.
So, if someone has done something for you and you haven’t thanked them or let them know, this would be a good time to do it. I’m here to tell you it will make their day.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31