One of my favorite J. Anthony Brown impersonations is President Lyndon Johnson addressing the American people to tell them that he’s decided not to run for a second-term. The broken down, beaten down Chief’s words began with “tonight, I come to you with a heavy heart….”
I like J’s impersonation, not just because it’s good, but also because it’s so funny to think that J., as he tells it, used to be roused from a deep sleep by his parents so that he could mimic LBJ for their friends. It tells a lot about what a major impact this fallen man, and his deep words of sincerity had, not just on the nation, but on poor, ordinary, black folks who felt his pain.
Years and years later, I wonder how bad he must have felt to watch so many things around him go wrong. But more importantly, I wonder how it felt to have the courage and humility to go on national television and admit fault to the people who elected you their leader.
I thought a whole lot about Tavis Smiley this weekend.
Reverend Al, Roland Martin and I moderated – and I’m just going to say it – Tavis’s event in Harlem. It was called “Measuring the Movement,” and it promised not to feature a lot of talking heads weighing in on the problems facing black America but people who were prepared to offer solutions.
But in past years, the event created, branded and hosted by Tavis Smiley, “The State of Black America,” was the forum that brought black leaders, activists, educators, journalists and more to pretty much do the same thing. Now, without Tavis, we did his thing and for me, him not being part of it was like the elephant in the room that everybody acts like they don’t see.
If we say we’re about brotherhood, healing, solidarity and all that stuff, than what better way to put this beef separating Tavis from most of Black America to rest than to have him be part of what he started.
He could have and should have been there because it would have been the right thing to do. Would he have come if he were invited? Probably not, but we don’t know.
So I have a bit of a heavy heart, but it’s mostly because I believe Tavis does, too. And whatever it is that keeps him from saying to Black America, “I’m sorry, I messed up,” is some powerful stuff. Every one of us has come down on the wrong side of right … or the wrong side of what everyone else wrongly thinks is right. It doesn’t really matter. It’s called being human. But at some point, any wise person can figure out when they’ve been hanging out there alone for too long. I’m not suggesting that he sell out, go against his beliefs or change his allegiance to anyone.
I’m just saying that men bigger and smaller than Tavis have figured out when it’s time to bring it on in, and as hard as it is to do, it’s got to be better than where he is now.
He’s like a cordless phone that’s too far way from its base. He can’t and won’t be able to get to the people who want to hear him anymore and the longer he’s away the less relevant he will become. Sometimes you can stray far away from home and when you return your family is there with open arms offering you back your old room. But in some cases, if you wait too long to come back, so much has changed that your family barely recognizes you and you don’t recognize them either. The place where you were in their hearts has shifted and other family members have moved into your spot. It happens.
If Tavis is to make a comeback he needs to do it now while the door to Black America is still open, even if it’s just little bit because every day that door closes more and more and eventually will shut … even mine.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31