My friend Chris Matthews from MSNBC is in trouble for saying that he forgot President Obama was black. What he was saying, consciously or not, was that when the president does everything right, he’s perceived to be white, and when things go wrong, people remember that he’s black.
I think Chris got caught up. Remember, it was just last week that he and I co-hosted the town hall meeting, “Obama’s America: 2010 and Beyond,” on an HBCU campus, at Texas Southern University. We all have white friends who, after being around us a lot, can sometimes get too comfortable and say something crazy. I think he had one of those moments where he thought he just say anything that came to mind and would get a pass. That’s never a good idea.
One of my favorite bits on the TJMS is the “Pull-Up Pal.” It’s a friend every player should have to remind him that he’s about to do something stupid. Well, our white friends sometimes need a black pull-up pal to tell them to pull up before they say something that will be perceived as wrong and racist, even if we know they probably aren’t. If Chris Matthews had run it by me, I would have told him, “Don’t say that, man. Sure, I know what you were saying – that during the State of the Union Speech, Obama was so presidential and commanding and had done so well that you didn’t see his color, that you just saw him as the president of the United States.”
In a white person’s mind, saying they forgot a person was black or didn’t see color – or want to live in color blind society – is a very high compliment. What our white friends need to understand, though, is that it really isn’t that complimentary to most black people. It implies that we think that in order to be accepted, approved of and perceived as excellent, we have to shed our “blackness.” We can or should be able to be all that and be as black as we ever were.
People seem to think deep down inside we want to be white, and that isn’t true … at least not for most of us. The Impressions asked this question back in the late 60s: “If you had a choice of colors, which one would you choose, my brothers? If there was no day or night, which would you prefer to be right?”
What a lot of people miss is yes, we want an end to racism, but even from the beginning, it’s never been about being or acting white and losing who we are. I love everything about being black. I love the way it looks to be black. I love our history. I love our culture, our language, our humor, our swagger. I don’t want a color blind society because I want people to see my blackness.
I don’t want Chris Matthews or anyone to forget that President Obama is a black man. If forgetting he’s a black man is a compliment, then remembering that he’s a black man is an insult, and I’m not with that at all. How about appreciating what this black man has accomplished? How about respecting and being proud of this black man?
Can you respect your brother’s woman friend
And share with black folks not of kin
I said now people must prove to the people
A better day is coming for you and for me
With just a little bit more education
And love for our nation
Would make a better society
And if you had a choice of colors,
Which one would you choose, my brothers?
Our bar is not to be white or colorless. Our bar is to be the best we can be as who we are – proud, black people. What most of us would like is a post-racist society, where racism no longer exists. Forget all this rhetoric about living in a post-racial society. I WANT to live in a racial society where every culture is embraced and respected, and you and I can be as black as we want to be. Say it loud!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31