Most of us have no idea when we’re going to die, and even if we think we know what will be written or said about us, we have no control. Last week, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died, and what their legacies will be all depends on what you read – or whether you’re watching CNN, Fox or TV One.
When it comes to what your legacy will be, timing is everything. If South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford dropped dead today, his legacy would be as the fool who didn’t read Chapter One of “The Player’s Handbook,” the one entitled “Never Put Anything in Writing.” Or Chapter One of “The Governor’s Handbook,” the one entitled “If You’re Going to Leave Town, Alert Your Lieutenant Governor.”
If Academy Award-winner Morgan Freeman dropped dead today, he would be more famous for dating his step-granddaughter (allegedly) than “Driving Miss Daisy.”
And what about the Oxy-Clean dude who died yesterday? What if he had a stain on his shirt, and we discovered he didn’t use the product at all?
My son Thomas was out of his mind with anger when CNN allowed Nancy Grace to cover Michael Jackson’s death after she so obviously crazed with anger when he was acquitted on child molestation charges. It reminded me, once again, that black media uplifts black people and celebrates their greatness with absolutely no shame in our game. George Wallace tells a joke (over and over, I might add) of how no black people are going to hell. Judging by the funeral services we have for them, we’re all going to heaven.
We are the most forgiving people on this earth, and that’s fine with me. From the tribute the TJMS and BlackAmericaWeb.com and our affiliate stations gave to Michael Jackson on Friday to the BET Awards ceremony salutes, nobody celebrates the lives of black people like we do. And no one ever will.
Speaking of BET, no one booed Papa Joe Jackson, in spite of what he may have done to his children. No one clowned Don Cornelius, even though he recently was on the wrong side of the law. No one would dare bring up Tevin Campbell’s close encounter with an undercover cop. And for that matter, you would never hear anyone say that, in reality, our beloved MJ didn’t show up at too many BET Music Awards ceremonies. But it’s all good.
As Black Music Month comes to a close, I thought about the legacy black radio will leave as we continue to fight for our lives. When Michael Jackson passed on Thursday, with all the new technology we have at our finger tips, black radio stood tall with up-to-the minute reports and captured the real, raw emotions of everyone – from the on-air d.j.s to the fans – who needed to express themselves to people who were feeling what they felt. Not trying to win awards, not trying to get ratings, not worrying about our legacy … just doing our thing.
Today on the big show, we want to know what you think your legacy will be. How do you think you will be remembered? Don’t spend too much time worrying about it. Just do your thing. The people who left the best legacies weren’t even trying to. They just busied themselves trying to make a difference on this earth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31