Most of us have no idea when we’re going to die, and even if we think we know what will be written or said about us, we have no control. Last week, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson died, and what their legacies will be all depends on what you read – or whether you’re watching CNN, Fox or TV One.
When it comes to what your legacy will be, timing is everything. If South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford dropped dead today, his legacy would be as the fool who didn’t read Chapter One of “The Player’s Handbook,” the one entitled “Never Put Anything in Writing.” Or Chapter One of “The Governor’s Handbook,” the one entitled “If You’re Going to Leave Town, Alert Your Lieutenant Governor.”
If Academy Award-winner Morgan Freeman dropped dead today, he would be more famous for dating his step-granddaughter (allegedly) than “Driving Miss Daisy.”
And what about the Oxy-Clean dude who died yesterday? What if he had a stain on his shirt, and we discovered he didn’t use the product at all?
My son Thomas was out of his mind with anger when CNN allowed Nancy Grace to cover Michael Jackson’s death after she so obviously crazed with anger when he was acquitted on child molestation charges. It reminded me, once again, that black media uplifts black people and celebrates their greatness with absolutely no shame in our game. George Wallace tells a joke (over and over, I might add) of how no black people are going to hell. Judging by the funeral services we have for them, we’re all going to heaven.
We are the most forgiving people on this earth, and that’s fine with me. From the tribute the TJMS and BlackAmericaWeb.com and our affiliate stations gave to Michael Jackson on Friday to the BET Awards ceremony salutes, nobody celebrates the lives of black people like we do. And no one ever will.
Speaking of BET, no one booed Papa Joe Jackson, in spite of what he may have done to his children. No one clowned Don Cornelius, even though he recently was on the wrong side of the law. No one would dare bring up Tevin Campbell’s close encounter with an undercover cop. And for that matter, you would never hear anyone say that, in reality, our beloved MJ didn’t show up at too many BET Music Awards ceremonies. But it’s all good.
As Black Music Month comes to a close, I thought about the legacy black radio will leave as we continue to fight for our lives. When Michael Jackson passed on Thursday, with all the new technology we have at our finger tips, black radio stood tall with up-to-the minute reports and captured the real, raw emotions of everyone – from the on-air d.j.s to the fans – who needed to express themselves to people who were feeling what they felt. Not trying to win awards, not trying to get ratings, not worrying about our legacy … just doing our thing.
Today on the big show, we want to know what you think your legacy will be. How do you think you will be remembered? Don’t spend too much time worrying about it. Just do your thing. The people who left the best legacies weren’t even trying to. They just busied themselves trying to make a difference on this earth.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30