We’re in the thick of the NBA finals, as the Los Angeles Lakers face the Orlando Magic for title of NBA champions. And whether you’re a die-hard fan of either team or are a member of the ABL Club – for Anybody but the Lakers – you’ve been watching the games or have at least wanted to know their turnout.
When it comes to spectator sports, basketball, football – okay, even baseball – some of us really get caught up. What is that really about? Why do we care so much about a win or a loss that really has very little to do with us, unless we’ve bet money on the games?
You can go to a sports bar and find people of all races and walks of life who would otherwise probably have nothing to say to each other talking, yelling and bonding over their favorite teams. Some fans are so serious about their team that they can’t even enjoy the games. When their team loses, it not only ruins their night, but the night of anyone else around them. The opposite of that fan is the one who knows nothing about sports, cares little about the teams, but likes to talk, tease and taunt the more serious fan.
The kind of fan you are tells a lot about the kind of person you are. How you choose your allegiance to a team can depend on several factors. For example, I’m from Alabama, where there are no professional sports teams. I make my living as a nationally syndicated D.J., so even though I do reside in one city, I’m loyal to at least the 100-plus cities that air our show. So, I choose my teams based on whether we’re heard in the city they play for.
For this championship series, it was easy. We’re on the air in Orlando, and we aren’t in Los Angeles. But when both teams are from a city we’re heard in, I go with the blackest team. It’s just that simple.
It may seem irrational, but when you think about it, it isn’t it all. We all root for something or someone so strongly that we simply cannot see or hear another side. David Letterman is under fire for a joke he made about Sarah Palin’s daughter making out with Yankees player A-Rod. Republicans are heated because they say Sarah Palin’s daughter is under age, and A-Rod is a grown man, so Letterman is promoting rape. Huh? It’s the stupidest thing you’ve ever heard – if you’re a Democrat. But if a similar joke had been made about the daughter of a Democrat, we might argue the same point.
Whether it’s sports or politics, we can be extremely passionate about the lives and deeds of others. That’s fine. But what do we do ourselves that we’re passionate about? How competitive are we on our jobs or at school? How much energy do we put into winning things that matter to us personally? What prize are we going for? A better marriage? A better relationship with our kids? Improving our health? Competition is a great thing, and I can’t imagine my life without it. In the radio business, we live or die by the ratings and constantly are aware of how our competition is performing. It keeps us on our game.
We all need something or someone that drives us to go the extra mile. We should always have a prize in our sight worth striving for. What’s yours?
The “For Real, For Real” poll asks who you compete against the most. If you’ve got some thoughts on your healthy or unhealthy competitive nature, holla at me on Facebook, Twitter or text me at OhOhOh (646464).
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31