Maybe it’s the heat. Maybe it’s the economy. Maybe it’s that we have so many outlets to receive information, but there’s a lot of stuff going on out there that makes us say, “What the hell?” We call it What-the-Hell Wednesday, but trust me, there’s enough to get us through every day of the week.
From the parents arrested for smoking weed at Arby’s while their baby was in the car to the man who was walking along the highway with 40 pairs of panties stuffed in his pants, if we wanted to, we could spend all day talking and laughing about the antics of everyone – from Bishop Weeks, who is engaged to be married to LaToya, who is…well, LaToya. But while we’re watching them, who’s watching the important things that really should matter to us?
Who’s talking about the performance tax issue that could have a crippling impact on black radio? Who’s worrying about the $85 million dollars that’s been taken away from HBCUs that they’ve counted on each year just to be able to keep providing the basics to the students, like dorms, research materials and desks? Who’s thinking about Troy Davis, an innocent man who was wrongly arrested, convicted and is currently on Death Row?
The whole idea of the TJMS is to entertain, inform and empower, so I have no problem bringing you the fun stuff every morning. But we’re doing our job when we remember to put some purpose in the party. We can apply some of that thinking to our lives too. Let’s enjoy the technology we have, but let’s make sure we balance it out and not neglect the things that should mean the most to us.
While we’re on the Internet and tweeting and texting, who’s tweeting and texting our children and our grandchildren? While we’re watching TMZ, what are the kids watching, and who are they watching it with? While we’re judging people who have been busted cheating in relationships, stealing on the job or digging up and re-selling burial plots, what’s going in our homes and on our jobs? While we’re watching everybody else, who’s watching us, and what are they saying? What’s going in your life that has people saying, “What the hell?”
In the meantime, check out the BlackAmericaWeb.com “For Real, For Real” poll. You know I care about what you think. Hit me on Facebook and Twitter and text me at OhOhOh (646464). But don’t get so caught up in all of that, you can’t keep up with the important things. Because a good “What the hell?” can turn on you!
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25