I’m just going to put it out there: Y’all don’t know nothin’ about movie soundtracks. I can’t remember the last movie I went to where I came out of the theater wanting to go straight to the record store to buy the soundtrack. In fact, the last time I felt that way, there were still record stores to go to. I’m talking about movies where the soundtrack and the lyrics to the soundtrack actually had something to do with the movie – not movies where record companies made deals so that their artists’ songs would be played throughout the movie. But y’all don’t know what I’m talking about.
I’m talking about movie soundtracks that were sometimes more popular than the movie – that if you didn’t have them in your record collection, your friends would talk about you like you were crazy. The Academy Award-winning theme from “Shaft” made people want to go see the movie. And if you saw the movie first, you knew the music was something special.
The genius of a brilliant soundtrack album – yes, I said “album” – is that it often outlives the popularity of the movie. Thirty-something years later, the songs still sound as fresh as they did back then, even though the movie itself is pretty dated.
Curtis Mayfield struck gold when he created the soundtrack for the movie “SuperFly.” If you listened to the soundtrack and opened up the cover and looked at all the pictures, you felt like you had been to see the movie. The soundtrack wasn’t just a bunch of good songs; it actually told a story. I know plenty of people who never saw the movie niho know the entire soundtrack, including the lyrics to “Pusher Man,” which were very controversial back in the 70s: “I’m your mama/I’m your daddy/I’m that n***a in the alley/I’m your pusher man.” Oh, I know that’s pretty mild by today’s standards. If you watched the BET Awards and heard all those bleeps, just know that your kids know the real words and sing them when you aren’t around.
“Claudine” was another great soundtrack album. Once you heard Gladys Knight and the Pips sing “On and On,” you couldn’t get out of your head. The movie “Sparkle” wasn’t the biggest box office success in the world, but Aretha Franklin’s soundtrack from the movie (also written by Curtis Mayfield) is still a classic. “Giving Him Something He Can Feel” has been redone by EnVogue, and “Look into Your Heart” was redone by Whitney Houston, and they were hits all over again!
For a period in the 70s, it seemed like every black film had at least one lasting hit. “The Mack” brought us “Brother’s Gonna Work it Out” by Willie Hutch; Curtis Mayfield did it again on “Let’s Do it Again” with the title hit from the Staple Singers. Cooley High’s “How Can I Say Goodbye to Yesterday,” still gives you goose bumps even if you haven’t seen the movie in 20 years.
For me, the last great movie soundtrack was from “The Five Heartbeats.” “A Heart is a House for Love” is a cut that was crucial to the movie itself and went on to be a big commercial hit.
You can call me, text me and tweet me about “Jason’s Lyric,” “New Jack City,” “Beverly Hills Cop” and “Boomerang” — I know the hits. But I will still argue that a great soundtrack is more than a list of songs you heard in the movie that are also available on CD. A great soundtrack is defined by how the music in the movie moved you – and whether the song is forever connected to the film and the film forever connected to the song.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30