Yesterday morning, we found out that Sen. Ted Kennedy, a champion of liberal America, died of brain cancer. He fought for civil rights, against the Viet Nam War, supported President Obama was always stood up for the poor and disenfranchised. But he also will forever be tied to a tragic event in his life that took place in Chappaquiddick 30 years ago. No matter what you do in life, no matter how much good, no matter how much you make a difference, the wrong that you do, the mistakes that you make, that time you were publicly busted, will always come to the surface.
Congressman Charlie Rangel recently disclosed more than $500,000 in previously unreported assets, doubling his net worth. He has been under an ethics investigation for months and always maintained his innocence. Also a liberal democrat who has done lots of good, Congressman Rangel’s virtues will always be tainted by this blunder.
The predicament they found themselves in is not really the issue. The real point is how much did it or will it affect the job that they’re doing and the legacies they will leave?
Rep. Rangel is taking a lot of heat, but let’s not get it twisted. Let’s not got caught in the media hype. Charlie Rangel is the founder of the Congressional Black Caucus. In the ‘80s, Rangel was arrested for participating in an anti-apartheid rally in front of the South African Embassy in Washington, and in the ‘90s, he was arrested for protesting the fatal shooting of Amadou Diallo. The Harlem rep has been outspoken against the war in Iraq and has actively called for the draft to be reinstated because he believes it’s a way to make the military more representative of the American public at large. Like a lot of us, he feels that a disproportionate number of poor and minorities volunteer to serve in the military mainly because they have so few options once they leave high school.
Not many people are interested in talking about any of those things right now, but I want you make sure you’re aware of the good works he has done.
Teddy Kennedy played a major role in legislation being passed aimed at improving issues that plagued a segment of the population that is often voiceless — health care, education and housing. He proudly accepted the label of liberal when a lot of Democrats were afraid to utter the word. All this week, you’ll hear about the impact he had on advancing the rights of immigrants, minorities, gays and the disabled. But on BlackAmericaWeb.com, you can read about what Ted Kennedy did specifically for black folks, and I think you will be impressed as I was with his record. Jackie Jones reports that Ted Kennedy, a mentor and friend to Ron Brown, had a major hand in him becoming commerce secretary.
This morning on the Big Show, 90-year-old Sen. Edward Brooke, who served in the Senate alongside Ted Kennedy, told Roland Martin how well the two of them worked together on voting rights legislation. He said once Ted realized he would never be president, he shone in his role as senator and gained the respect of Democrats and Republicans. If you missed that interview, check it out on BlackAmericaWeb.com.
But aside from the friendships and associations he had with black Americans, Ted Kennedy’s work led to the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act, Meals on Wheels for the Elderly, abortion clinic access, family leave and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
I’ve always wondered what would make a person who comes from such a privileged background care so much about people who have the least. To me, it’s what made Ted Kennedy great. And Charles Rangel’s record should always out shine whatever is being thrown at him. They should both be remembered for the good they’ve done.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (11/26-12/2)
30 photos Launch gallery
1. Little Legend and Puddy 😍😍😍😍
1 of 30
2. "You on point Phife?" "all the time,Tip". 💥 #bannedfromnormal
2 of 30
3. Vegan! The Impossible burger at Crossroads
3 of 30
4. Lawrence #BeforeandAfterEpisodes 1-4: 184lbs 13% body fatEpisode 8: 196lbs 8% body fat S/O @coachdaveboxing with the works outs and @kildareriordan with the nutrition
4 of 30
5. Jus haaaanngin out
5 of 30
6. Meanwhile back at home in Atlanta GA someone mad they not on the 🛳. 😳
6 of 30
7. No limits... Photo cred: Chris Bridges @ludacris
7 of 30
8. new new
8 of 30
9. Apparently my 260lbs is too much for the actual vines in the Hawaiian jungles to hold me without breaking and me falling hundreds of feet. So for safety purposes, I'm forced to swing thru #Jumanjj on wires strong enough to hold 12 adult buffaloes and 1 adult Rock. #OnSet #Jumanji #IronicallyIEatBuffaloDailyForLunch #MoreManThanNatureKnowsWhatToDoWith
9 of 30
10. hey ma! 🎎#wcw 💙
10 of 30
11. Surprise visit to our factories!!! #GoodAmerican #USA
11 of 30
12 of 30
13. Peachy Keen 🔥✨⚡️
13 of 30
14. If this don't look thankful I don't know what does. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. #UltraBlessed #24kMagic #SweetPotatoFly
14 of 30
15. Late nights @nbcmarlon with the writers... we in here!!!
15 of 30
16. There goes my baaaaaaaaabbbbyyyyy #QueenKingMagic!!! We're up to something! Ira BIG!!! Stay out our buisness -
16 of 30
17. You want to win every game you play but when you come home to these faces... who cares. #ILoveYouGirls best part of my day, everyday!
17 of 30
18. Steady,steady..... full size jenga.. "I got this one "???? Or do I ?
18 of 30
19. Cornrows kind of day 😉@dontaysavoy2 you convinced me and I love. ❤️️
19 of 30
20. #BrotherlyLove #tbt
20 of 30
21 of 30
22. #basel #TeamLOVE @kingcombs
22 of 30
23. Just introduced a special screening of @directher 's groundbreaking (must see) documentary @13thfilm with my brother @themichaelealy | @unitedblackout #blackoutblackfriday
23 of 30
24. Me & Vanessa Williams giving #DuckLips #Pose on the set of #DaytimeDivas @vh1 - Coming Soon to a tv near you. Lol. - My make up done by @makeupsurgeon
24 of 30
25. This picture just makes me wanna praise the Lord, you hear me!!!!!! Yes Lord brotha #TEDDYCAMPBELL What a #man !!! You are everything right on this picture husband ......... #gorgeous #stylish #classy #strong #masculine #king #sexy #debonair #gentlemenstyle And that #bible in your hand just seals the deal for me (probably cause i know that, that is what helped you become just as amazing as you look😘). While my heart and mind experiences the goodness of God at #church on Sundays, my eyes experiences the goodness of Teddy😍. Amen somebody🙌🏽. "Bless the Lord oh my soul and all that is within me bless his holy name" #myman #myhusband #goodman #blackman #dapperman #godlyman #goodfather #mybestfriend
25 of 30
26. Yesterday was my mama's 53rd birthday!!!!! Got to celebrate with her all day. If this is what I have to look forward to I can't wait. Looking like a soft bucket a cocoa butter. Yaaaaaaaaaas! 😍😍😍 love you mommy!
26 of 30
27. "Shout out to @PureAtlanta for getting the family right"....I'm loving this jogger. 😍😍
27 of 30
28. This pic warms my heart ❤️ #myLogiebeans and aunt aunt umba @itowandabraxton 😘
28 of 30
29. You will always be my baby😜. #HappyBirthdayReginae #mybaby18
29 of 30
30. GC "Gods Child" Red on Red SweatSuit available now at www.MonicaApparel.com ... Take Your Crown wherever you go!! I'm pictured in a Medium... Go to the site now for other options ... cc: @trukernell
30 of 30