Yesterday morning, we found out that Sen. Ted Kennedy, a champion of liberal America, died of brain cancer. He fought for civil rights, against the Viet Nam War, supported President Obama was always stood up for the poor and disenfranchised. But he also will forever be tied to a tragic event in his life that took place in Chappaquiddick 30 years ago. No matter what you do in life, no matter how much good, no matter how much you make a difference, the wrong that you do, the mistakes that you make, that time you were publicly busted, will always come to the surface.
Congressman Charlie Rangel recently disclosed more than $500,000 in previously unreported assets, doubling his net worth. He has been under an ethics investigation for months and always maintained his innocence. Also a liberal democrat who has done lots of good, Congressman Rangel’s virtues will always be tainted by this blunder.
The predicament they found themselves in is not really the issue. The real point is how much did it or will it affect the job that they’re doing and the legacies they will leave?
Rep. Rangel is taking a lot of heat, but let’s not get it twisted. Let’s not got caught in the media hype. Charlie Rangel is the founder of the Congressional Black Caucus. In the ‘80s, Rangel was arrested for participating in an anti-apartheid rally in front of the South African Embassy in Washington, and in the ‘90s, he was arrested for protesting the fatal shooting of Amadou Diallo. The Harlem rep has been outspoken against the war in Iraq and has actively called for the draft to be reinstated because he believes it’s a way to make the military more representative of the American public at large. Like a lot of us, he feels that a disproportionate number of poor and minorities volunteer to serve in the military mainly because they have so few options once they leave high school.
Not many people are interested in talking about any of those things right now, but I want you make sure you’re aware of the good works he has done.
Teddy Kennedy played a major role in legislation being passed aimed at improving issues that plagued a segment of the population that is often voiceless — health care, education and housing. He proudly accepted the label of liberal when a lot of Democrats were afraid to utter the word. All this week, you’ll hear about the impact he had on advancing the rights of immigrants, minorities, gays and the disabled. But on BlackAmericaWeb.com, you can read about what Ted Kennedy did specifically for black folks, and I think you will be impressed as I was with his record. Jackie Jones reports that Ted Kennedy, a mentor and friend to Ron Brown, had a major hand in him becoming commerce secretary.
This morning on the Big Show, 90-year-old Sen. Edward Brooke, who served in the Senate alongside Ted Kennedy, told Roland Martin how well the two of them worked together on voting rights legislation. He said once Ted realized he would never be president, he shone in his role as senator and gained the respect of Democrats and Republicans. If you missed that interview, check it out on BlackAmericaWeb.com.
But aside from the friendships and associations he had with black Americans, Ted Kennedy’s work led to the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act, Meals on Wheels for the Elderly, abortion clinic access, family leave and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
I’ve always wondered what would make a person who comes from such a privileged background care so much about people who have the least. To me, it’s what made Ted Kennedy great. And Charles Rangel’s record should always out shine whatever is being thrown at him. They should both be remembered for the good they’ve done.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31