June officially kicks off wedding season, which is only a problem if you’re dating someone wants to get married and you don’t, or if all your friends are getting married, and the closest you’ve come is being a bridesmaid, or you’ve had multiple bad marriages, and just the thought of someone getting married again makes you want to show up on their porch with a bullhorn warning them that they’re making a mistake.
There’s no tried and true formula for marital success, and trust me, for every person who wishes you well on your wedding day, there are five haters betting that your marriage will fail.
Aside from the actual wedding day drama that most people experience, the whole idea of hooking up with someone for life can make it a stressful event. When celebrities get married, the pressure is even greater. Not only are they taking a huge, life-changing step; they’re doing it and living it out in public.
Usher and his soon-to-be ex-wife, Tameka, had many strikes against them from the start. He is a huge star; she was a single mom with three kids, she was older than he was – and his mama told him not to marry her.
When Star Jones became engaged to Al Reynolds, it seemed like her “View” co-stars were doing everything they could not to crack up when she talked about her wedding plans, mainly because Al Reynolds looked more like a wedding planner than a groom.
Terri McMillan appeared to have the perfect marriage, but after it fell apart, she admitted that he asked her for money to open up a dog grooming business. Hello! Of course she later accused him of being gay and marrying her so that he could get U.S, citizenship.
After Eddie Murphy and his wife of several years, Nicole, broke up, he hooked up with Spice Girl Mel B. She got pregnant and claimed he was the daddy; he denied it and married Babyface’s ex-wife Tracey Edmonds. That marriage was over in 15 days—“The Adventures of Pluto Nash,” was in the theaters longer!
But just as you can look at some couples and see that they aren’t meant to be together forever, you can also be very wrong when you try to judge which couples will find marital success. Take Bobby and Whitney. As dysfunctional as they both turned out to be, their marriage lasted longer than most Hollywood marriages do. So, those of you out there betting against Beyonce and Jay-Z, Nick Cannon and Mariah Carey and Wanda Sykes and her new bride, you might be wrong.
Even though a wedding is a true party with a purpose, balancing the beauty and romance of it all with the emotion, the expense, the in-laws, the exes, the children and bridesmaid dresses is not easy.
Today’s “For Real, For Real” poll asks who brings the most drama at the wedding. I’m gonna take a guess that at the Eddie Murphy and Tracey Edmonds wedding, it was Johnny Gill. Yes, I went there.
Holler at me at me at Facebook, Twitter or text me at OhOhOh (646464), and since it’s Black Music Month, tell me your favorite wedding song.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (10/15-10/21)
31 photos Launch gallery
1. Just a NY girl with BIG dreams....
1 of 31
2. HAPPY CHILDREN=QUALITY PARENTING. We don't always see eye to eye on everything and that's normal. We're human beings. But we come together and do it right for what's important, the kids. We are not enemies, we are parents. And we are parents 1st. S/O to @monyettashaw for making Mason's bday memorable. S/O to @itscrystalsmith at home taking care of our other lil' Prince. ❤️❤️❤️ THIS IS WHAT CO-PARENTING LOOKS LIKE. #Blessed #Happy #AboveTheDrama #BiggerThanUs
2 of 31
3. So happy to finally be able to share with you all that I’m the new Global Brand Ambassador for @Revlon! Follow my day on RevlonSnaps. Yay! Choose Love, Everybody! #RevlonXCiara #chooselove #ad
3 of 31
4. Glam on point!!!@makeupbymotoko & @shaylinjoneshair #easybreezy @lifetimetv #beachesmovie #january2017 😘
4 of 31
5. ✨True love ✨📸: @jessiemarrerophotography
5 of 31
6 of 31
7. Today was not easy..but by the grace of God we all got through it. Words cannot express our gratitude for all of your Prayers, Positive thoughts and Support for us throughout the years. Tommy will be missed but most certainly never forgotten...And PLEASE don't ask "Where's Martin?.." he was there too...just not in this picture. Lol! God bless you all.. #LoveConquersAll #MartinShow
7 of 31
8 of 31
9. West coast get ready for #RockyHorror. I will be live tweeting again. #letsdothetimewarpagain
9 of 31
10. #THEKEYS pre order yours now ... Available everywhere #NOV22 #WeTheBest 🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑
10 of 31
11. We about to ROCK at #KCABlackBall!! All for our life-changing effort to end 🌎 AIDS.
11 of 31
12. Today's #SNAPJACK is brought to you by @yazzthegreatest 😂😂😂💋💋💋
12 of 31
13. Damn girl you kinda old to be headed to the Go Go. You coming in at the age they leaving. LMAO
13 of 31
14. Daddy daycare B-Boxin with @acewellstucker @shopraisingace
14 of 31
15. #FBF Naviyd & URV "LIL MONSTERS"
15 of 31
16. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ONE OF THE BIGGEST LEGENDS IN OUR HIPHOP HISTORY! @snoopdogg CONTINUED BLESSING AND LOVE FAMILY!!!!! REAL OG!
16 of 31
17. Thank you for a beautiful night VSU! Let's do it again! #HOMECOMING
17 of 31
18. Had a great time this morning with my familia Erica, Griff & Truth!!
18 of 31
19. Check out my interview on @essence facebook live. #inmyownwords #nycpromo #day2
19 of 31
20. #She💋 #tbt #TheCoveAtTheAtlantis #DawgPawsAndAll
20 of 31
21. Bae #retailtherapy
21 of 31
22. Why me and @coryhardrict got the same pose... and notee... new mouth #naked
22 of 31
23. When my husband is my personal 'hype-man'! it kills me every time! 💜😂 #WHATNOW #lostfiles📷
23 of 31
24. Diggy Simmons
24 of 31
25. Hand full of @jacquieaiche 💙💎💍 @esnail_la 💅🏾
25 of 31
26. SuperSoulers! You can watch my interview with Carl Lentz live from my Facebook page, tomorrow at 11a ET| 8a PT. #SuperSoulSunday
26 of 31
27. 💋 .. When the friendship is easy like Sunday morning. ☀️
27 of 31
28. Sunday mornings are the best........... hugs and cuddles with my angel
28 of 31
29. #huggar16 #hellohuggars
29 of 31
30. My gym is everywhere!.. #RnBMoney #TheGeneral 📸: @twelvepastseven
30 of 31
31. Nothing I would rather be doing... Rocko setting up our movie, Romelō working on a puzzle & Laiyah singing and sharing all she's learning at school... I'm so grateful for the joy they've brought into my life ... Praying for peace , joy & love in the home of EVERY family ♥️ #HeadScarfPJSunday LOL 😂
31 of 31