Today, June 1, kicks off Black Music Month, and we’re celebrating it on the TJMS. I know what you’re probably thinking: The TJMS is a black radio show, and you play black music every day. Yeah, we do. But that doesn’t mean that we can’t take a month to look a little closer at something that means so much to us.
Whether you’re like us and have been fortunate enough to have depended on black music for a living … or you simply don’t think you could live without black music, you’ll want to be a part of our month-long salute to a genre that has never truly gotten the props it deserves.
We’re going to look at the impact black music has had on our lives personally, professionally and politically. We’re going to have fun reflecting on your favorite songs and what memories they bring, but we’re also going to go deep and take a look at every thing from the role black music has made in politics and the civil rights movement to what the future of black music will be – with so many hurdles it faces, with everything from the bad economy to the performance tax. Black radio, black record labels, black music publications and black music venues all are struggling to survive. But no matter how bad the business of black music gets, remarkably, the beat goes on.
Whether black music is playing on your car radio, in your head or in your heart, somewhere, somehow, someone is enjoying it, and it is wrapped up in a kind of love and happiness that no one can take away from us.
There’s nothing else like it or its longevity. From the Motown sound to P-Funk, to New Jack Swing, gangsta rap to go-go, hip-hop to neo-soul to the Motown sound all over again, musical memories are being made – and the hits keep on coming.
Who’s making money and who isn’t? What’s new, and what upcoming methods are artists are using to get their music heard? What can we do to save black radio? All of these issues will be up for discussion as the month progresses.
This morning, we’ll hit it lightly as our TJMS producers ask you to tell us about the one song that defines you or your life the most. What’s your theme song? If your life was a movie, what would the soundtrack be?
“I Believe I Can Fly” might be a good for one for me. But if you can think of something better, call me or text me.
In the meantime, enjoy the one thing that has brought us all here together this morning in the first place — the black music.
Also On Black America Web:
This Week’s Celebrity Instagrams (6/18-6/24)
25 photos Launch gallery
1. Me & the homie @jaleelwhite #RujohnFoundation Happy to be in Jamaica! Good times
1 of 25
2 of 25
3 of 25
4 of 25
5. Good Morning. Early day in Detroit! Making press rounds for @thebossnetwork's Ladies That Lead Tour. Thank you @traycemadre and @colourbynumbr for my glam.
5 of 25
6. POWER the best show on TV @djenvy, Queens we so big out here. #EFFENVODKA #FRIGO
6 of 25
7. They said u lost a step, wasn't explosive as once was, the best days was in the real view, questioned your drive, your leadership, your commitment, you don't have killer instinct, going back home is the worst mistake in your career, he got the coach fired, players traded, won't work between him and Kyrie, Him and Kev won't work, love your teammates to much, there's no way he can deliver a championship in his hometown, etc etc etc.... But guess what THATS NONE OF MY BUSINESS #StriveForGreatness #ThisOneIsForTheLand #PutSomeRespeckOnMyName Hahahaha!!! Yes sir
7 of 25
8. Oooooh weeee this man right here is responsible for at least three of our four babies!! #JOE ❤❤❤🎤 #rnb #king #voicelikebutter #ForPeetesSake
8 of 25
9. Hanging with my @abcnetwork family! @abcunclebuck tonite y'all check us out ! @anthonyanderson @traceeellisross
9 of 25
10. My broski ( @sayeedshahidi ) and I are on Top 5 Live on @go90 at 5 (which is super duper close)! Make sure to tune in :) #UncleBuck #Blackish
10 of 25
11. Lights out💤 #GoodNight
11 of 25
12. Late nights mornings
12 of 25
13. Ran into the lovely talented @siedahgarrett on this brutiful favvuz deh!
13 of 25
14. #halal #love #thedargans #kattwilliamsSHOW #mashallah when that Jennah piece HIT!! @sweetjennahcollection glasses by @baddieglamaccessories LIZ 😍 @dynamiteko top @dazzledmv and jeans @thevision414 and shoes: @louboutinworld
14 of 25
15. Big Hair and Optical Illusions #OceanDrive #MiamiLiving #coverparty
15 of 25
16. MAMA and THE SAVAGES ... ⚓️ #supportyourlocalgirlgang
16 of 25
17. From the bottom of my ❤️, thank you new followers & old! & hello fellow night owls! #grateful #racheltrue #naturalhair #curlyhair #curlygirl #healthyhair
17 of 25
18. I feel so grateful because I met these amazing young minds, visiting from Houston TX, during their college tour stop today at #usc.These students are ALL extraordinary and embody academic excellence so I'm humbled to have shared a few moments with them to applaud and celebrate their bright futures ahead! Thank you @EmergeFellows for inviting me to speak and blessing me with your love and attention this afternoon!
18 of 25
19. Happy Fathers Day Pops. U taught me how to be a man. Lessons of love, hard work & gratefulness. Sorry the fishing didn't stick. LOL. I Love U!
19 of 25
20. Sky Zone and Ice Cream! Best Fathers Day Ever!! Photo credit @mariahcarey
20 of 25
21. Look what finally came in the mail 😎 #mtvmovieawards2016 💥+🌽! #straightouttacompton
21 of 25
22. Claudia Jordan: ....
22 of 25
23. 'Member that time I almost knocked a bajillion dollar camera off the car? Really? Yeah, me neither! #Greenleaf Episode 2 comin atcha!
23 of 25
24. Full of love. #birthday #Cabo
24 of 25
25. Oh hey! Look who just joined Snapchat
25 of 25